Talk

Advanced search

Tips for faded 'navy' school tops but have logo so can't dye.

(11 Posts)
Wittynewnameifonly Sun 26-Jul-15 10:57:02

I have lots of DC's school polo shirts that are now a very faded navy but have an embroidered logo on so I can't just chuck them in navy dye.

In some cases the fading is rather uneven.

Does anyone have any tips for rescuing these? They all still fit fine and at about £10 a go new I'd really like not to have to replace them.

I have now learnt that any new ones will be washed inside out! Too late for these though sad

Any tips gratefully received smile

BikeRunSki Sun 26-Jul-15 11:02:20

It's likely that the logo is polyester so it won't take dye anyway.

Otherwise I'd just carry on wearing them. If school supplies shoddy uniform, then that is what they'll have to expect people to wear.

Mintyy Sun 26-Jul-15 11:04:08

So you can't dye them?

I'm struggling to get my head round what else you think can be done?

Baffledmumtoday Sun 26-Jul-15 11:08:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wowfudge Sun 26-Jul-15 12:10:41

I agree with BikeRunSki. Especially if the logos show no sign of fading, you should be able to dye then without affecting the embriodery. It'll cost you about £6 for Dylon machine dye. If you have lots you could try dyeing a couple and see how they work out?

When you wash the tops, put them inside out and don't use a bio washing powder as it will contain bleaching ingredients to reduce fading.

Wittynewnameifonly Sun 26-Jul-15 12:23:44

Thanks all.

mintty - I have no idea, which is why i thought I'd ask for mn wisdom in case there was something I hadn't thought of.

BikeRunSki - thank you for that idea that I'd not thought of! I will buy some dye and try it on a couple.

Sadly DSs being teens means that they really don't want to be wearing the very faded ones.

£6 for dye is cheaper than one too so worth a go. I am going to Tescos shortly.

Thanks

homeaway Sun 26-Jul-15 13:43:45

Can you put candle wax over the logo , dye them and then peel the wax off ? No idea if it would work but i think that is what we used to do as kids when we tie dyed stuff.

Wittynewnameifonly Sun 26-Jul-15 15:15:37

Another good idea, thanks homeaway
I have the dye now but the washing machine is currently busy. I intend to do it later today and will candle wax a few of the logos and do a couple plain.

Thanks again

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 26-Jul-15 16:18:14

I'd suggest a complaint to the supplier about shoddiness of product too, and give the school an earful for having logos on shirts.

NeuNewNouveau Wed 29-Jul-15 15:33:30

Thanks for your tips. Unfortunately the logo dyed navy too, even the one with wax on.

Never mind, it was worth a go.

BikeRunSki Wed 29-Jul-15 16:24:03

Can you get a school badge to sew over the dyed ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now