Talk

Advanced search

Soda crystals

(19 Posts)
JamHoneyMarmite Fri 24-Jul-15 11:48:02

I saw some the other day and thought "Oo, they're always being mentioned on MN, I'll get some".

Now, remind me, what do I use them for??? blush grin

Lilymaid Fri 24-Jul-15 11:50:00

Put some (good tablespoon) in sink over the drain, pour over a kettleful of boiling water. Keeps the U Bend etc clean and unclogged. Do this every month or so.

tshirtsuntan Fri 24-Jul-15 11:54:48

I put them in the drum and drawer of the washing machine every so often when it's goes smelly and run it on the hottest wash(empty) not sure of the science but it seems to work!

JamHoneyMarmite Fri 24-Jul-15 12:07:24

Excellent. Going straight to U-bend now!
(not something I thought I'd ever say...)

AlpacaMyBags Fri 24-Jul-15 12:09:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirPercyPilkington Fri 24-Jul-15 12:12:14

Everything?
Most recently used here to soak ingrained grubbyness from a trenchcoat not from muddy flashing

JamHoneyMarmite Fri 24-Jul-15 12:29:29

SirPercy I wish there was a "like" button sometimes.

Onetwothreeoops Fri 24-Jul-15 12:30:59

Can they be used to clean the inner workings of a dishwasher?

JamHoneyMarmite Fri 24-Jul-15 12:35:35

Can they??? That would be good, I have been putting it off but my dishwasher needs a proper de-gunk.

cozietoesie Fri 24-Jul-15 13:13:27

This is the 'tips' section from the one I use - there are plenty other unbranded versions (all cheap) but have fun reading this.

smile

ILikeToClean Fri 24-Jul-15 13:26:42

I always put half washing liquid, half soda crystals in each washing load. Makes your washing stuff go further and cleans the machine at the same time.

JamHoneyMarmite Fri 24-Jul-15 13:35:43

Thanks Cosie - I am off to brighten my grouting! Living the dream, I tell you grin

BornToFolk Fri 24-Jul-15 13:47:32

If you have food stuck/burnt onto a pan, put a tablespoon of soda crystals in, fill up with water, bring to a gentle simmer on the hob, then turn off and leave to soak. It'll lift the gunk off like magic!

SirPercyPilkington Fri 24-Jul-15 14:17:32

If you have an eyelash in your eye, just pour soda crystals in and your eye will pop right out, ready for a quick rinse - hey presto!
(Disclaimer - please don't do that. You might die.)
We sound like brain washed religious followers of soda crystals. But I have to admit, they are awesome and I'm going to chuck them in the washing now as per ILike's post.

cozietoesie Fri 24-Jul-15 15:19:18

The only problem with soda crystals is that their use is often preventing problems - which may not be as satisfying to some folk as actually seeing the gunk that's removed. (The cleverest thing that Dyson ever did.) You just have to remember to keep on doing things to avoid all sorts of problems.

Good luck. smile

KumiOri Fri 24-Jul-15 15:24:29

I wash tea towels just with soda crystals as I use them to wrap bread and don't want it to smell.

PigletJohn Fri 24-Jul-15 16:24:52

they're good for removing grease and soap sludge, so washing machines, sink traps and drains, but I don't believe they're needed in dishwashers. That's because the dishwasher detergent is strong and I think caustic, so it already does what soda crystals do.

BTW is there anyone here good at chemistry? I assert that mixing soda and vinegar together they will neutralise each other, so no point, but some people like to do it.

cozietoesie Fri 24-Jul-15 16:51:15

My chemistry is so rusty it's flaking off - but I thought that soda crystals were a 'base' so should neutralise acid (hence vinegar) depending on relative quantities and strengths - which means, surely, that it's easer to use one or the other straight depending what you want to do? (Rather than any effect you're left with by imbalance/imcomplete neutralisation. If you see what I mean?)

I suspect I need caffeine.

cozietoesie Fri 24-Jul-15 16:53:47

PS - the tips section of the DriPak site actually recommends straight vinegar for dishwasher cleaning if you have a look - no mention of soda at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now