Talk

Advanced search

Dyson ruining wool carpet - suggestions for alternative??

(7 Posts)
TealCarpet Wed 22-Jul-15 18:48:04

We had new wool carpets in the autumn, our vacuum cleaner (Dyson) picked up a lot of pile for the first few weeks (I expected this with new carpets) but it is still picking up loads (if I hoover the whole house the drum is over half full of pile) and the carpet does look a little over brushed in places. If I drag the brush backwards over the carpet it doesn't seem to brush up as much pile, so I've been doing this for now but obviously it's not ideal forever smile

Can anyone with pure wool carpets recommend their vacuum cleaner? I want a decent one, just not one that slowly trashes the carpet angry. It's annoying as the Dyson is only a couple of years old and was fine on previous non-wool carpets...

rabbit123 Wed 22-Jul-15 19:41:37

uprights in general are no good for wool carpet. You need a vacuum with strong suction only, no brushroll.

Have a look at the Miele cylinders without the turbobrush, those would be ideal

www.amazon.co.uk/Miele-Complete-PowerLine-Vacuum-watts/dp/B00KGVK4BS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437590459&sr=8-1&keywords=Miele+vacuum

Fleur28 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:11:41

Why don't you call the Dyson helpline. They might have an alternative cleaner head that's better suited to your carpet (depending on what you've got).

PigletJohn Thu 23-Jul-15 00:32:14

I don't understand that. Have had wool carpets and upright cleaners for ever (but never a Dyson).

It is sometimes said that a new carpet benefits from being well-trodden before you use the hoover on it.

I'd ask the carpet maker for their advice.

Postchildrenpregranny Thu 23-Jul-15 00:35:38

Never had a problem with ours .We do have an excellent Henry but its murder on the back

TealCarpet Thu 23-Jul-15 18:18:34

Hi, sorry I started this thread then forgot to check for answers! Thank you for the replies. It's not an upright Dyson it's a cylinder one (DC28). It's definitely the hoover brush doing damage I think, the carpets have been down 10 months now, it can't be normal for the whole cylinder to be over half full after hoovering the house?! (it's about 90% carpet fluff and 10% actual crumbs/dust etc). At our old rental house (synthetic carpets) I could go a couple of weeks before needing to empty it.

I will try ringing Dyson and the shop we got the carpet from....

Thanks again for the replies.

sparkle58 Fri 21-Aug-15 12:13:54

Can you tell me what Dyson said TealCarpet? I have a similar problem with a new DC25 (upright). I bought this to replace my previous Dyson and every time I use it on every carpet, old and new and both wool and synthetic, the canister is full of carpet fluff and grey/white powder which I fear is the harsh brushes churning up the carpet backing and turning it into dust!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now