Talk

Advanced search

Defrosting the Freezer, fascinating I know.....:)

(7 Posts)
midnightvelvetPart2 Wed 22-Jul-15 14:55:33

What's the best way to defrost your freezer, I'm not pushed for time so don't have to fart about with hairdryers or steam cleaners or anything...

I'll move all of the food to the garage freezer so its empty, then do I take it outside or do I unplug & let it defrost in the kitchen with lots of towels on standby?

Its fairly well iced up, how much water will actually come out, will towels do the job?

PigletJohn Wed 22-Jul-15 15:44:26

If you're lucky, yours will have a little spout to direct the water out of the bottom and into a bowl or bucket. Check the instructions. Also see if there is a fast-freeze setting you can use when you have reloaded it.

There will likely be more than towels can cope with.

If you have some large boxes, put a bin-liner loosely (air gap) in one and stack up the food, packed as close as you can. When full, fold over the lid flap and put a bin liner or blanket round the outside (forming another air gap) starting at the top. It helps to put the stuff in carrier bags before they go in the box (double packing, more air gaps).

If you have no boxes, carrier bags in a bin bag will do. Pulling a second bag over the top of the first bag will help. Put all the bags or boxes together so they keep each other cold, with a blanket over the top. It will stay frozen for an hour or so. Put ice cream in the middle of the stack.

I would pack it in the kitchen to minimise the time the food is exposed to the air, as it would be if you carried it around.

It is best not to use hard or sharp implements, as they may damage the freezer. You can use a plastic spatula if you want. Sponge out the cabinet when it has stopped dripping. I use WUL. No unwrapped food will contact the inside of the freezer so it doesn't hurt to leave traces there.

PigletJohn Wed 22-Jul-15 15:46:30

oops, I didn't notice you have an extra freezer so won't need the boxes. You have time to sponge the freezer out and let it air-dry fully.

midnightvelvetPart2 Wed 22-Jul-15 15:51:26

Thanks PigletJohn it does have a spout! smile

& it says 'super' which might be the fast freeze option, its not the most up to date of freezers. Plus its scaring the cat who's not taking her eyes off it grin

CordeliaFoxx Wed 22-Jul-15 15:52:12

Put a towel or two in the bottom, and an empty washing up bowl to contain most of the water/ice, empty when needed

cozietoesie Wed 22-Jul-15 16:43:34

I always tried to defrost my old one as fast as possible so used a hair dryer on low setting to speed up the process and minimize water. (The blocks of ice tend to come off as blocks that way.) You do have to be careful not to have the heat source too close to the unit though (to avoid damage) and to ensure that there will be no drips of water on anything electrical - definitely banish the cat for the duration.

I've gone for frost-free now though. It was too much flipping hassle. grin

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jul-15 09:46:08

If theres a slim tray right at the bottom then that will catch all the water.

I only found out this year that it's not for just the ice cube trays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now