Talk

Advanced search

Best way to clean engagement ring?

(12 Posts)
EmGee Tue 21-Jul-15 22:49:33

Platinum with a diamond stone - I'm too scared to use Coke. Any other ideas? I really don't want to ruin it!!

SonceyD0g Tue 21-Jul-15 23:00:01

John Lewis jewellery cleaner. Works a treat on mine.its platinum with a diamond stone

Iloveonionchutney Tue 21-Jul-15 23:01:27

I was told neat alcohol, though I've never tried it myself.

PigletJohn Tue 21-Jul-15 23:02:35

I expect the back of the stone is dirty with a combination of skin oil and exfoliated skin cells. You can either wash up by hand more often (true), or put it in a glass of warm water and WUL, and brush the back with a small very very soft artists paintbrush. Don't use a nylon bristle like a nailbrush or toothbrush, it is possible for them to catch in the setting and dislodge or loosen the stone.

If you like toys, you can buy an ultrasonic cleaner.

Oil and grease stick to diamonds and to gold, and can be used in mining them. I don't know about platinum.

Pearls, opals and emeralds need more care.

WinterBabyof89 Tue 21-Jul-15 23:04:49

Small toothbrush - give behind the diamond a scrub under a running tap to get rid of the grime caught behind the stone.

Don't wear it when cleaning, cooking or applying creams etc (prevents build up).

Platinum generally becomes quite scratched so will need buffing either in store at a jewellers, or outsourced to one of their jewellery workshops if the shop doesn't have a strong enough buffing machine. They come up a treat smile

fackinell Tue 21-Jul-15 23:31:43

Toothpaste, so I was told. It worked for mine.

PotteryLottery Wed 22-Jul-15 07:31:14

Fairy washing up liquid

RocanaHardplace Wed 22-Jul-15 07:43:48

Most high street jewellers have ultra sonic cleaning machines for rings. Usually do it whilu wait
RH

tatumsfunkychicken Wed 22-Jul-15 07:46:45

Jewellers...I go annually before our anniversary. It is incredible the difference it makes.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Wed 22-Jul-15 07:50:58

Nothing dramatic here - egg cup, ring at bottom, cover with fairy liquid, leave overnight and rinse in the morning (or whenever you remember...). Scrub with toothbrush if really manky. smile

bangingthedrums Thu 23-Jul-15 06:49:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmGee Wed 29-Jul-15 13:52:51

Thanks for all the tips.

I did take it back to the place I bought it a few years after purchasing it, and they cleaned it for me (as they should in my opinion). Then they recommended a product I've never been able to find.

I only wear my rings to go out. Never at home, in the shower, when putting on cream etc.

I'll try WUL first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now