Talk

Advanced search

How do you keep on top of laundry?

(35 Posts)
TeaPleaseLouise Mon 20-Jul-15 12:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treaclesoda Mon 20-Jul-15 12:36:05

Separate laundry baskets for different colours, so in my case I have white, light colours, dark colours.

Then you can see at a glance that you have eg enough whites for a wash, and it only takes a moment. Also I put stuff away as soon as it is dried, unless it needs ironed. And I try not to let the ironing build up to an overwhelming amount.

TeaPleaseLouise Mon 20-Jul-15 13:30:00

Clutterbugsmum Mon 20-Jul-15 13:31:32

I do it Tuesday/Thursday and Saturday.

I don't mind doing half loads as I'd rather do a Light and a Dark load so it can be all washed and put back away so I don't have a build up of washing.

KingOfTheStupids Mon 20-Jul-15 13:36:05

I hang mine of the line in the evening if the weather forecast looks favourable. I never have time in the mornings with 3 small DCs to get ready

holmessweetholmes Mon 20-Jul-15 13:39:06

For me it's just a question of actually getting around to doing it as often as I need to. If I skip a few days I have a laundry mountain. But it's sheer laziness/forgetfulness on my part really, if it gets to that point. It's not as if it actually takes long to put a wash on <eyes laundry mountain despondently>.

Secondtimesally Mon 20-Jul-15 13:46:04

I have been struggling to keep on top of it since DS2 so asked for help - now DH puts on a wash when gets home from work and hangs it out. I'm in charge of taking in dry clothes and putting them away. Ironing is done as needed, eg DH does his own shirts on Sunday night, I do all the sheets when I know beds need changing.
Hope that helps.

Secondtimesally Mon 20-Jul-15 13:47:55

I should add DH made a mistake and criticised my ironing once (he thought the cleaner had ironed his shirt badly) so I have not ironed any since. 9 years on it's no problem.

TeaPleaseLouise Mon 20-Jul-15 14:00:42

GoooRooo Mon 20-Jul-15 14:08:02

Don't separate DH's laundry from your own, just make ALL the laundry both your responsibility. I try to do a load a day by sorting out the colours and darks the night before and whoever is up first puts it in the washing machine and hangs it out/chucks it in the tumble.

I iron my own and DS clothes. DH irons his own.

BasinHaircut Mon 20-Jul-15 14:16:15

I mainly do clothes on a Friday. We don't actually seem to generate much laundry here (there is 3 of us) and so one white one dark/colours wash per week and it is pretty much all done.

During the week I do sheets, towels and gym/swim kits as and when. I might chuck a few other items in with gym or swim stuff too if it seems to be mounting up that particular week.

If you truly want to keep on top of it then when you think you don't have any washing FIND some. There is always a few not so fresh towels, a bed that is almost due a change etc. that way you are ahead!

Smcgettigan79 Mon 20-Jul-15 14:21:04

Do you have time delay on your machine - changed my life!

If I am in the next day I put a load on delay last thing before bed so it has just finished when I come downstairs in the morning to pop in TD or on line. If I am at work I do it in the morning so it is ready to be dried when I get in...

Before time delay I was rubbish!

SleepIsOverrated Mon 20-Jul-15 14:23:22

I do a load every morning, mixed load washed with a colour catcher sheet.

Chuck it onto the airer or into the dryer when it's done or next time I remember. So usually the following morning.

Pile it all into ikea blue bags once clean, and then pay for someone to iron it all.

Then once a week, sort it all into piles, put my own pile away (well - into my room anyway), and get children to do the same.

Delicates tend to hang around unwashed for longer as they are the only things which don't fit into the mixed wash.

It isn't perfect but it works for us. If I has to cut back on paying for ironing, it would all tumble into chaos again I'm sure.

Stoneysilence Mon 20-Jul-15 14:24:12

I always struggled until I got a tumble drier. Now I just do a few loads on a Friday (I work 4 days), which includes all bedding. Seems to keep on top of the bulk of it and then I do the odd midweek shirts/ delicates wash as needed. If I have to miss the Friday laundry day for whatever reason (having a social life, for example!) all hell breaks loose.

Rivercam Mon 20-Jul-15 14:24:30

I'm one of those people that irons almost everything, so always have a mountain to do. I try to allocate time each week to do it. Ie. Morning of day off, or an evening. Watching a good TV programme helps.

Stoneysilence Mon 20-Jul-15 14:25:16

p.s. the only things that get ironed in our house are DH's shirts (all 5 on a Sunday evening if it's a good week, 10 mins before he leaves the house each morning on a bad week) and the occasional work top for me. Life is way too short to iron ANYTHING else IMHO.

SurlyCue Mon 20-Jul-15 14:33:13

I iron nothing, unless for a wedding or job interview etc.

I usually have enough for a wash every other day. I also try and re-wear stuff until they actually look or smell dirty. I freshen things between washes by hanging on a coat hanger from the curtain rail in our respective rooms (it me and 2 DCs) it really works, they smell so fresh and line dried, and really reduces washloads.

I dont have separate baskets as i just dont have the room so what i do is put the colours straight into the machine and whites/towels into basket, then when machine full i switch on. Once that wash is done i take out and hang and immediately fill machine with whichever there is more of in the basket, it is usually towels as we dont have that much white stuff. Then keep putting towels in machine til it is ready to go on. It might sound complicated but it works for me and the DCs know to check what is in the machine before deciding where to put their laundry.

dontcryitsonlyajoke Mon 20-Jul-15 14:33:35

Somebody on here recommended doing laundry by person than by colour/type so you don't waste time having to sort between different drawers etc when folding. With 5 in our house this idea has its merits, so I'm trying it though need each person to have their own laundry basket so I don't even have to presort. We mostly have colourfast cotton stuff so not too worried about colours bleeding and it seems to be ok.

The best bit of advice I got on here is don't start a load until another load is completely finished and put away. I would always put a second load on while the first was drying on racks or TD and then either have a backlog of damp laundry looking for drying space, or a mountain to fold and put away. Now although it seems a waste of empty washing machine time somehow, I completely finish one load and put it away before moving into the next and it does help me feel way more in control of it all.

The main thing with laundry is little and often. A couple of days off and it's chaos again!

SurlyCue Mon 20-Jul-15 14:34:11

Oh the windows have to be open for the curtain rails to be of any use grin

SunnyNights Mon 20-Jul-15 14:38:46

Five of us in our house, we put a load on at 6:45 ish every morning and peg it out (or put inside on an airer) before work/school etc.

Then sort out dry washing in the evening, big ironing session every Sunday night. It's boring and tedious but the routine helps as then I don't need to think.

Elysianfields Mon 20-Jul-15 14:44:25

As well as a laundry basket for each colour to BE washed, you need one to sort into too once they ARE washed and dried. So off the line/out of the drier, folded and into your/dh's/dc's basket. Have another basket for ironing. That way you handle stuff as little as possible and if you fold well you cut down the need for ironing. Each person can then be given their basket to put away (even littlies can help with this)

The other big key for me was at least one wash EVERY day, so keeping on top of it. I always can find stuff to pad out a not quite full load (some not too darks in with the colours for example).

At my very busiest (two under 5's and a "d"h with a broken leg, and a new bouncy dog) I gave up the washing line and only used the drier, it is actually quicker even if only by the time it took to walk out to the line, and it is great for making things not needing to be ironed.

On the ironing front I have ironed maybe 10 items of clothing so far this year. I confessed this to my mum who is a sock and knicker ironer herself and she was shocked, saying she cant believe I never look creased. Its all in the folding I think, - but she is 86 and I suspect her eyesight isnt what it was!

TheWanderingUterus Mon 20-Jul-15 14:53:58

I use those big supermarket reusable bags. One on the landing that all dirty clothes go into. I grab it when I go downstairs in the morning and shove it all into the machine. I don't sort by colour, but it would be easy to shove a few more out there and do it as we went along. I hang it out as part of my morning routine while the kids are having breakfast (I wash everything on a 40 or 60 hour long wash) so if I put it in at 7 it's done by 8.

When it's dry I grab a bag for each person and a couple of hangers and fold/sort it into the bags as it comes off the line/dryer. Shirts etc go straight on hangers. Bags of folded clothes get dumped into bedrooms and I put them away whilst the kids are getting ready for bed. They take up much less space than baskets and I can carry four or five easily up the stairs. Stuff on hangers gets ironed if it needs it. Duvet covers get folded and stuffed in their pillow cases immediately.

PolterGoose Mon 20-Jul-15 14:54:15

TeaPleaseLouise Mon 20-Jul-15 15:11:01

Bonkerz Mon 20-Jul-15 15:26:10

A load on every morning. No separate washes for darks etc I just avoid buying white! Everything goes straight in tumble dryer then gets put away in drawers. I iron what's needed in morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now