Talk

Advanced search

High Thread Count Bed Linen

(12 Posts)
whatithink Sat 18-Jul-15 10:19:32

Am buying a new superking size bed and was contemplating investing in some high tread count bed linen (possibly 600 or 1000). Have only ever used polyester cotton before that doesn't need ironing. Just wanted to know if the extra expense is worth it or will I be creating a whole load of extra ironing for myself? I only have a normal iron and ironing board and I know the size alone will be difficult to worth it. Will the creases be really difficult to get out and will I be ironing them for hours?
Would appreciate someones wise advice. Thank you

ClunkyBoobster Sat 18-Jul-15 18:30:55

I got a 1000 thread count sheet set for my 21st birthday (almost 9 years ago now, gulp) and they are lovey. So thick and soft. If you tumble dry and take them out straight away I really don't think they need ironing... but I am not one to iron bed linen....there is more to life. I would definitely say it is worth the investment though, my sheets are still in lovely condition and so soft and luscious. However, I now also have a super king and the sheets are queen size. So they sit in the cupboard. :-(

JaxTellerIsAllMine Sat 18-Jul-15 20:21:24

if you can line dry and fold your bedding then you can get away with not ironing.

I do think it is nice having a high count bedlinen - it feels so much better.

Gusthetheatrecat Sat 18-Jul-15 23:13:46

We bought 1000 thread count bedding from Soak and Sleep (then the Duvet and Pillow warehouse) after reading recommendations on Mumsnet.
Oh my goodness it's the nicest set of bedding I have ever slept in. Is at least a year or two old and still so beautiful. I desperately want another set, as all my other bedding now feels like hessian by comparison.
I never iron it. I am sure it would be even nicer if ironed, but life is too short.

SnowBells Mon 20-Jul-15 00:08:46

I've just ironed some today. For hours. The lowest thread count we have is 400 for the guest bed and 600 for our own bed. Highest so far is 1000.

My favorite is the 1000. It's soft, and thick. It just feels great against my skin. In terms of ironing, the 600 is more difficult to iron than the 1000 - which is heavy, so if you hang it to dry the creases go away quite easily.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Mon 20-Jul-15 11:44:40

I have tended to buy 600+TC sheets and normal Egyptian cotton duvet covers (not even certain of the TC, not super-high); I iron the latter only.

I recently departed from this practice and bought 2x 1000 TC duvet covers (single) for my son's room (from Soak and Sleep, which I highly recommend).

They are a huge pain to iron, it is not satisfying in the least because they doggedly hold onto their deep creases. They're also heavy and unwieldy.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Mon 20-Jul-15 11:45:30

I also got mine from Soak and Sleep.

So, my suggestion:

1000 TC for the stuff you won't iron (if any)

400 or less for stuff you will iron.

BreadstickBev Mon 20-Jul-15 19:32:44

Hi, can anyone recommend 14" or 16" deep king size fitted sheet 1000 tc for a water bed? This is my holy grail which I'm unable to find sad

Rascalls3 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:50:50

I am a Soak and Sleep fan too. I went to one of their one off sales and felt all the different thread count sheets. Their 1000 tc sheets are very heavy and smooth. Reminded me of the heavy, old fashioned sheets of my childhood which were probably decades old and still going strong ( my mother bought vile 100% nylon replacement sheets in the 70s which were very easy to launder but were absolutely ghastly to sleep on )
If you do invest I would recommend a good steam generator iron to go with them.

Belleview Tue 21-Jul-15 10:44:46

You don't really need to iron high thread count bed linen IMO.

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Tue 21-Jul-15 11:18:32

High TC linen probably looks better just out the dryer than low TC, but still not great. I'll carry on ironing it, despite the fact that it doesn't work well. I feel unreasonably attached to ironed bedding.

Buglife Tue 21-Jul-15 11:25:19

I iron my 600 and 800 pillow cases because they have deep edges around then which go all wrinkled up. But I do not have time to do the sheets and duvet cover! Duvet cover is 800 and sheets are ranging from 400-800. Love them, my DM got them for me dirt cheap when she worked for Boundry Mills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now