Talk

Advanced search

Drain flies in the loo

(10 Posts)
MilchandCookies Fri 17-Jul-15 20:03:22

They're coming from a loo in a guest bathroom not used all that often.

I've cleaned up and in the rim as best I can with normal cleaner, but there are at least ten adult flies coming out a day, and I don't know what to do.

I used harsh drain cleaner down the drain and plugholes in the bathroom just in case, but I can't use it in the loo according to the label.

Can someone talk me through what I need to do? All the advice I've found on the web is for cleaning normal drains, but nothing on the loo.

TheAuthoress Fri 17-Jul-15 20:56:38

Ugh!! We had them come out of our kitchen plug hole in a house I once lived in, so I assume they're they same as what you've got, they just kept coming. Thankfully we were going on holiday for a fortnight so we sealed up the plug hole with loads of soda crystals and put masking tape over it and when we came back from holiday they were gone.

Could you seal the toilet up with tape for a couple of weeks with loads of bleach down it?

eventay Fri 17-Jul-15 21:24:38

What on earth is a drain fly?

PigletJohn Fri 17-Jul-15 22:54:22

I be!ieve that insects breeding in water will drown if you add a little WUL or other detergent, as it destroys the surface tension enabling them to catch air bubbles or climb out in afult form.

If you put some WUL in the cistern it will slowly get diluted but will last for several flushes.

goingtotown Fri 17-Jul-15 23:03:35

What is WUL?

PigletJohn Sat 18-Jul-15 01:11:26

ashing
p
iquid

MilchandCookies Sat 18-Jul-15 05:56:27

I can't get at the cistern because it's behind the tiling ... But I can add a little bit to the loo directly each day.

Failing that, I'll try taping it up and sticking bleach down. Can I put soda crystals down the loo?

Thanks!

TheAuthoress Sat 18-Jul-15 13:24:05

Yes you can put soda crystals down the loo smile

PigletJohn Sat 18-Jul-15 14:51:46

if you squirt WUL round the bowl up high, under the rim, it takes several flushes to wash it all away, especially if the bowl is already dry, and the WUL has time to dry before it is flushed.

You will see it takes quite a few flushes to stop foaming.

MilchandCookies Sat 18-Jul-15 20:51:16

Ok, thanks.

I've also put a bowl of diluted apple juice with some WUL in it to try attract the flying ones. Not a sausage as yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now