Talk

Advanced search

Toilet bowl cleaning advice?

(21 Posts)
Kerantli Thu 16-Jul-15 14:16:47

This is going to sound horrible but it's something I've been battling for the last 3 years to no avail, and DP the last 5 years...

But is there ANY WAY to get rid of a lot of horrible black build up in the toilet bowl? It's all under the water, bleach won't touch it, neither will bleach and the toilet brush.

I'm at my wits end with it and just want it CLEAN!

slippermaiden Thu 16-Jul-15 14:22:21

Is it discoloured lime scale? Try a bottle of cheap coke left in there overnight, give it a good scrub in the morning before flushing it and do this regularly until it's gone. I bleach twice a week now and seem to be on top of the lime scale problem.

DeeCayed Thu 16-Jul-15 14:31:06

Bleach doesn't remove limescale. I recommend harpic black which is 100% limescale remover. Just before bed (so after last wee) push as much water under the U bend with a toilet brush as you can and squirt loads of harpic all over the black stuff, leave overnight. In the morning give it a good scrub with the brush or even a scrubby pad and most of not all of it should come off.

tinkytot Thu 16-Jul-15 14:44:39

A couple of steradent tablet in the loo overnight might help!

Usually used for dentures but seems to work a treat on toilet bowls, the inside of teapots that are tea stained etc

Worth a try as they are really cheap to buy.

Kerantli Thu 16-Jul-15 14:49:50

Might take a wander down to the little shop and see if they have the cheapest of cheap coke to throw down it and demand we use the second smaller loo until tomorrow afternoon and hope I don't need the loo overnight and forget

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Thu 16-Jul-15 18:30:33

I've used coke below the waterline, and it's worked brilliantly.

I've got a different issue. The staining in our bowl is at the top at the back of the bowl. So if you spray cleaners etc they just drip down and dont stay there.

The stains are dark brown so look horrible. Any ideas?

Dollydewdrop21 Thu 16-Jul-15 19:45:59

vinegar overnight. In the morning give it a good scrub and flush. I had the same problem and vinegar sorted it.

krisskross Fri 17-Jul-15 12:06:57

Second white vinegar. Get all water out first , theb pour in as much as poss. Leave over night. It will come off with easy scrubbing in lumps.

Kerantli Fri 17-Jul-15 14:18:33

Tried the coke trick and it didn't work, just made the bathroom smell awful...

We're on holiday in Bristol in a weeks time, so I have a feeling I'm gonna have to attempt to do more when we get back if I can't get anything else for it this week.

Though as for vinegar, would brown vinegar work, or just the white one?

girlandboy Fri 17-Jul-15 16:58:13

I hate to break this to you, but we inherited a rather crusty toilet. I tried the coke. I tried the white vinegar. I tried a brush. I tried a scrubby pad.

The scrubby pad was the most effective, but I finally lost my temper with it and ended up chipping it off with an old knife shock But carefully does it in case I cracked the porcelain!!

That did it smile

Kerantli Fri 17-Jul-15 18:46:47

Ah bugger shoot

I was hoping not to have to get my hands in (not exactly a germaphobe, but I do feel icky after cleaning anything that has got too dirty)

will have to pick up a pair of fetching marigolds then!

Eternalsunshines Fri 17-Jul-15 18:53:44

How about soaking loo roll in coke Or vinegar and sticking it on rather then it just running straight down into the loo

girlandboy Fri 17-Jul-15 20:16:37

I didn't use marigolds........industrial strength gauntlets for me grin

gamerchick Fri 17-Jul-15 20:21:09

You need a decent lime scale remover and cheap Coke is no good anyway, it has to be the good stuff.

Push the water under the ubend with the brush and scoop out as much as you can and put remover on it over night. You'll have to keep at it with the scrubbing in the morning until you're happy.

It's going to take a few days but it will come off.
A couple of denture tablets down the pan regular after that will stop it coming back but it'll need to be scrubbed often.

sootballs Fri 17-Jul-15 20:40:24

Yup.

Have had a similar issue in a house we bought. But key was ensuring that all the water in the loo was pushed over the U bend. Then I used 2 liters of Proper Coke and left it. Your trip away for a week might be long enough! Then when I got back in scrubbed like my life depended on it and keEP it shine with denture tablets once a week which I do on my work day so the loo is unused for 10 hours.

Kerantli Sun 19-Jul-15 00:11:02

Part of me is sat in horror thinking about using the good coke down my loo!

Might do it though, we're going on the 25th an back on the 30th so hopefully it'll do something, or the knife and some sort of scrubber will be coming out (and hoping I don't do any damage, to myself or the loo - but apparently I "take after" my MIL when it comes to accidents somehow)

Kerantli Sun 19-Jul-15 00:12:48

Girlandboy gauntlets are on my list wink

girlandboy Sun 19-Jul-15 11:22:11

Yes, it makes sense grin

Allofaflumble Sun 19-Jul-15 14:58:39

Put some damp paper towel over stain at back of toilet. Then spray with limescale remover generously. Leave overnight. Repeat until gone. Do not flush paper towel down loo, though i am sure you know that. wink

Anotheronesoon Sun 19-Jul-15 15:11:55

Very interested to read the above. Quick question- we have a cleaning lady - but don't think she scrubs the toilet- is that too much to ask? Not sure they clean toilet bowls as never had a cleaner before?!

Allofaflumble Sun 19-Jul-15 19:59:38

Giving the toilet a good scrub with a brush would be something I would do as a cleaner. Also clean the whole toilet, lid and sides.

It would be polite to remove poo splats and skidders before she arrives in my opinion. Apart from very young children, it surprises me that people think someone else should clean up their shit. It is a common occurance though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now