Talk

Advanced search

black stain on mew wooden worktop

(4 Posts)
milkyman Tue 14-Jul-15 17:20:28

ive come home to a small, blackish stain on our worktop - no idea what has caused it! need help as brand new!!

VicklePickle Wed 15-Jul-15 15:30:18

Oh No! Wooden worktops are great as you can complete your own repairs. No need to panic! The area marked can be lightly sanded and then re-sealed with your treatment of choice. Any chance it could have been caused by water or iron pans being left on the surface? Hope this helps resolve the stain. Let us know how you get on. I have had the same happen to me many of times

bilbodog Wed 15-Jul-15 16:39:01

do you have any heavy cast iron pans or casserole dishes as I know these can cause stains on wooden work tops? I have metal trivets that I use to put hot things on but I think even cold iron pans, if wet, can cause markets. Just do as above - or be a slob like me and relish the well used look of your worktops in due course!

PigletJohn Wed 15-Jul-15 17:14:39

It's usually a water stain. Oiled wood is prone to that. Oil is not actually moisture proof.

See if it improves as it dries. If you care enough, you can use Oxalic Acid to bleach it (after removing the oil or varnish). Or you could wait until you have some more.

I have oiled wood outdoors, but I have used a wood dye to make it very dark so that stains don't show.

Opinions differ, but IMO wooden worktops are perfectly suited to a kitchen showroom, but not to a room which contains taps, kettles, teapots, drinking containers or hot pans.

You will now hear from people who have wooden worktops which are in perfect condition after 20 years of careless use and spills. I have never seen one though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now