Advanced search

What are your favourite brands for cutlery, glassware, china, bed linen?

(17 Posts)
KondoAttitude Tue 14-Jul-15 12:50:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toffeelatteplease Tue 14-Jul-15 12:58:26

Denby for crockery. It is Fantastic (but the glassware is rubbish)
there was a lovely heavyweight cutlery set from asda several years back for everyday still going strong.
Proper pyrex for ovenware and glass bowls
Poundland for pizza dishes

I too have had quality for linens but honestly I'd rather primark or bhs for ease of use

VeryPunny Tue 14-Jul-15 13:16:06

We have Eisch stemware - I also like Riedel and Iitala. I don't rate John Lewis bedlinen - I have two sets of 100% cotton which are only 2 years old and the stitching is pretty crummy - a shame when previous JL sets lasted for 15 years.

How cack handed are you? We have porcelain plates for everyday use but have chipped most of them - I would probably replace with Denby stoneware. We have Denby oven proof dished - I think they look a bit nicer on the table than Pyrex.

KondoAttitude Tue 14-Jul-15 19:26:47

GezFox Tue 14-Jul-15 19:56:33

Iitala great glassware and crockery. Soakandsleep for bed linen

Toughasoldboots Tue 14-Jul-15 19:59:27

I have Arthur Price silver plated cutlery, so I can't comment on stainless steel, but I thought I would let you know that their customer service is brilliant.
I sent back some forks to be re plated last year at no cost.

MrsMook Tue 14-Jul-15 21:34:25

We've got Denby as it's durable for general use and smart for entertaining. We live close to the factory so buy the pieces individially which has been practical and convenient.

I think the regular cutlery set is Ikea. It feels quite solid.

Drinking glasses were M&S tumblers. We chose the wine glasses to be more chunky and durable and sit well in the dishwasher.

AmazonsForEver Tue 14-Jul-15 21:37:05

Le Creuset is more than the name.
I have had my casserole for 20 years, it looks like new, and is used two or three times a week! Couldn't do without it.

Toffeelatteplease Tue 14-Jul-15 21:52:06

Yes I have found expensive bed linen requires ironing, waaay too much faff. absolutely is either primark or bhs for me in terms of fitted sheets and the plain colour bed linen. Wash and go grin

Personally I like the heavyweight feel of the Denby. It is solid. You have to work reeeeeeally hard to break it. And if you do its easy to get replacements.

Although it does go in the oven I still prefer pyrex because it cleans up better in the dishwasher and I like seeing the layers in the side (like in a shepherds pie)

I have a little Le creuset set. They are awesome and used a lot. But I have to say I do find them a bit ugly (controversial). I would probaby look at Le Creuset over Denby if I was going specifically for ovenware (I'd still pick pyrex over both)

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 14-Jul-15 22:01:59

Le Creuset stainless steel pans are great. We have Habitat Brighton cutlery, still looks great after 15 years (wedding present!) and easy to replace bits that go missing.
Wine glasses are just John Lewis because we get drunk and break them grin Also like their Gibraltar water glasses.

blodynmawr Tue 14-Jul-15 22:19:54

Portmeirion for plates, cups, mugs, sugar bowl, teapot, flan dishes, lasagne dishes, casseroles etc - I have various patterns and sizes of stuff which all mix and match plus the Sophie Conran plain white stuff is gorgeous and matches everything. Some of it is nearly 20 years old now and only now are the scratches showing on some of the plates or the glaze is starting to go (but we dishwash everything so surprised it has all stayed good for this long!).
Glasses all eventually go weird in the dishwasher so we just replace as required with supermarket stuff.
I have always bought Viners cutlery when on offer in TKMaxx, local homeware store etc for everyday use and for occasions. Goes in the dishwasher and always looks great without having to polish it. I have the Harley design which is quite simple, classic and doesn't date. Arthur Price is also a good make that TKMaxx has sometimes - my sister has it.
We recently invested in a set of Stellar stainless steel saucepans after the handles finally fell off the 20 year old Argos set we got when we first moved in together. Got them for a good price off Amazon and they are great quality, go in dishwasher etc.
Frying pan - we just a buy a new Tefal red spot one when the non-stick wears out every 3-4 years. Usually buy in Wilkos or supermarket. Had LeCreuset in a rental house once and hated it as it was too heavy and cumbersome, especially large pans and casseroles.
Bedding I am very fussy - no polycotton whatsoever. I like high thread counts and 100% cotton so get when there sales at JL, Just Linen, Debenhams, local dept store and sometimes Next (though they rarely have 100% cotton sets). Folded when straight out of TD or off the washing line they don't need ironing IME.

FrancesHB Tue 14-Jul-15 23:01:53

Iove The White Company easy care bed linen - I get a new set every year or two to keep the white white.

ICantFindAFreeNickName2 Fri 17-Jul-15 21:58:32

Arthur Price cutlery is great - you can sometimes get a good deal on the sets at Debenhams.
LeCreuset - fantastic, ours still look good after 20 - 30 years. But they are very heavy & dp does not like me putting them in the dishwasher (because it ruins the wooden handles).Im sometimes tempted to buy a cheap set from Wilko's.
China - still looking, but avoid supermarket stuff. After about 20 years we replaced our patterned Churchill stuff with plain white from Tesco. I love the look, but it chips really easily. If anyone can recommend any plain white china that lasts, but does not cost the earth, I would be very interested.

heritagewarrior Fri 17-Jul-15 22:12:56

Denby for crockery
Dartington for crystal ware (IKEA for everyday)
Robert Welch cutlery
Le Creuset and Viners for saucepans
John Lewis for bed linen

PolterGoose Sat 18-Jul-15 22:46:51

Davros Sun 19-Jul-15 11:11:29

I second Portmeirion, lots available from Scott's of Stowe. Also second habitat.
We have ville roy and Bosch Foglia plates and bowls, used every day for 22 years and still going strong

Davros Sun 19-Jul-15 11:12:00

Villeroy that should say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now