Talk

Advanced search

using tumble dryer water in my iron - can I?

(5 Posts)
UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 12-Jul-15 16:38:45

I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly on MNsmile ) that you can use the water from a condensor dryer in your steam iron.

We've just invested in a rather lovely steam generating iron (which makes ironing a doddle btw). As we're in a hard water area, I have followed the instructions to use deionised water, which I've been buying. However, if I could use the water from the dryer that would be better and cheaper.

Is this really possible? I don't want my lovely iron to fur up so will only use the tumble dryer water if someone with a lot more knowledge of chemistry than me can reassure me that it will be fine!

BrockAuLit Sun 12-Jul-15 16:46:01

I used to until iron conked out. Apparently the water contains really really fine lint which will eventually clog up the steam cents in the iron.

rabbit123 Sun 12-Jul-15 18:41:32

The manual on both my iron and dryer recommend using water from the condenser tank. It's deionised after it passes through the condenser unit, so it's like using bottled ironing water but free!

I add a few drops of essential oils too, smells great!

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 12-Jul-15 21:54:35

Thanks, I'm going to give it a go.

Missingsleepandthecat Sun 12-Jul-15 22:08:08

The book that came with my dryer advises that you pass the water through coffee filter paper to remove any fine lint particles before you use it in an iron just in case it has any lint in it. I can't see why you can't use it, like Rabbit123 says its deionised

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now