Tips for a big clean/tidy.

(7 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Sun 12-Jul-15 08:35:24

Dp has suggested that we need a big clean and tidy before the summer holidays - which I agree but trying to figure the best way to go about it. We usually do a bit here and there as it needs doing rather than in one big go iyswim.

I have been slowly de-cluttering over the year so far and have got bags out to charity/friends/music magpie and thrown out a lot of things we don't need. So although we will probably be getting rid of things there shouldn't be a huge amount.

I just need a method / list of things to do we will hopefully be pulling all the furniture out cleaning beind etc, but what do we do first?

Heck5897 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:46:37

I was going to suggest a big declutter but you beat me to it.

I'll be interested in the answers as I've no idea

What about top down - so upstairs windows/light switches first, then bedroom furniture, upstairs bathroom, then upstairs floors, then stairs, then downstairs windows/light switches, then downstairs furniture, then down stairs floors, then exterior

Heck5897 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:47:30

Personally I would totally finish decluttering before doing the deep clean though.

CaptainHolt Sun 12-Jul-15 08:52:03

Have you read the Kondo threads? There are links are the start of them to tips.

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 13-Jul-15 08:44:03

I used Flylady's Detailed Cleaning Lists Zone 1 here and amended them to fit my house. Now I just print them off every time we go for a deep clean (or, more likely, one room at a time) and tick off as I go.

I also use the time to make a "snag" list of any jobs that need doing in a room (like replacing things, fixing things etc).

homeaway Mon 13-Jul-15 13:53:28

For me it would depend on how much of a deep clean I was doing. I would always start upstairs and make my way downstairs. In bedrooms I would change the beds first and put anything away that was out of place, then I would dust everything( doors, light switches and light fittings ), hoover and move furniture and then wash floors. In the bathrooms I would dust first, hoover, clean sinks, loos and shower then wash the floor. I would set aside a day to wash the windows as if you try and do that at the same time as the deep clean it takes too long imo. HTH.

plipplops Mon 13-Jul-15 21:22:15

I'd read Kondo smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now