Talk

Advanced search

how to get blood out of sheets?

(24 Posts)
krisskross Sat 11-Jul-15 09:02:14

They are white cotton sheets and I've washed them a few times with stain remover but although the marks have faded they haven't gone.

Any suggestions please? Thanks

LIZS Sat 11-Jul-15 09:05:17

Harder once you have washed them already but try soaking in Napisan.

LovesYoungDream Sat 11-Jul-15 09:10:58

You could try a product called napisan. It is used for keeping reusable nappies white so could work. Mix with water to make a paste, apply to stain, wash on hot cycle. You also can put Napisan in with the washing powder. Wash at 50 or 60 degree. There were product years ago called 'stain devils' or 'vanish' but not sure if there still available.

MistressChalk Sat 11-Jul-15 09:21:41

Bit useless now you've washed them sorry, but the way to get blood out of anything, even white carpets, is dabbing (not rubbing or scrubbing) with cold water. It lifts the blood out brilliantly. Try a cold wash?

krisskross Sat 11-Jul-15 09:25:19

Aaaah that's what my mum said, I hoped she was wrong. Thanks for the info though.

I was thinking it might be lemon juice and sunlight!

littlesupersparks Sat 11-Jul-15 09:27:04

If you soak in cold, salt water before washing the blood will lift right out. I don't know anything that gets it out after washing. Bleach?

krisskross Sat 11-Jul-15 09:32:06

Thanks all. V frustrating !!

Alfabetibisgeti Sat 11-Jul-15 09:36:37

Yes to cold, salt water.
My mum used to have a basin under the sink and a tub of salt for it.
There were 3 girls in the house and none of us obviously knew how to use sanitary towels properly

Missingsleepandthecat Sat 11-Jul-15 12:58:54

I've always found a hot wash with a good powdered detergent works well at shifting blood, if you're using liquid detergent it may not work as effectively because it lacks oxygen bleach but by adding some napisan if you don't like powdered detergent will give liquid a boost because its basically the oxygen bleach that liquid lacks.
HTH

Qwebec Sun 12-Jul-15 04:22:43

The solution exists: oxyclean. With fresh blood it is easier, just soak before and it goes away like magic. I had precious beddings stained and nothing made them go away, the dry cleaning laughed at me when I asked as a last resort. It's my old flatmate that showed me the product. When I rubbed the sheet with it, the iron smell of blood was even perceptible. The old stains lifted like they were never there.

TheHappinessTrap Sun 12-Jul-15 04:45:57

I don't have white bedding but if Ive found that as long as it goes in the machine on a cold wash immediately, even on a short 30 min cycle, then normal laundry detergent and no soaking is fine.

Weebirdie Sun 12-Jul-15 04:57:12

Dab the affected area with a bit of diluted bleach?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 12-Jul-15 11:48:04

Harder now you've washed them but for future hold the stain under a hot running tap, this will loosen it. Then add some bio detergent and rub again. Wash as normal.

krisskross Sun 12-Jul-15 13:06:22

Thanks everyone.

Qwbec what is oxygen? Thanks!

krisskross Sun 12-Jul-15 13:07:11

Sorry, oxyclean....

dementedpixie Sun 12-Jul-15 13:26:56

Don't use hot water on blood as it sets the stain. Always use cold water. Bio powder in a normal wash normally works after rinsing through with cold water

dementedpixie Sun 12-Jul-15 13:28:43

oxiclean seems to be a stain remover for clothes

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Sun 12-Jul-15 13:31:01

If they're white the hydrogen peroxide
You can get it in boots etc. just ask them.
Honestly it's really good. I used for a futon that got rather covered in blood
(Nothing suspect, dodgy prem pregnancy)

MrsJorahMormont Sun 12-Jul-15 15:35:29

How do you use the hydrogen peroxide Jayne?

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Sun 12-Jul-15 18:34:37

I've just dabbed it on. It's the 3% stuff used for cuts and mouthwash etc

rabbit123 Sun 12-Jul-15 18:40:01

I got blood out of our sheets after a nose bleed with good old fashioned biological powder (NOT liquid) on a cottons 60 wash with heavy soil selected and extra rinse. It was a long wash - about 3 hours - but it worked.

There is a specific stain removal,product for blood - Dr Beckmans, I think - that has worked for me in the past, on a blood stain that ds3 had already tried washing in hot water.

Qwebec Mon 13-Jul-15 22:38:38

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OxiClean
sorry for my late reply, yes it is a stain remover, I don't use that brand but a similar one that is supposed to be eco-friendly.

potap123 Tue 14-Jul-15 00:25:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now