Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine problem

(6 Posts)
olly115 Thu 09-Jul-15 19:36:18

Hi I just moved into a flat, the washing machine was a bit smelly with a bit of mould build up around the seal etc not too bad but decided to try to spruce it up.
I put it on a 90 wash with a splash of bleach and a bit of powder, the result was a thick coating of gunge around the back of the drum shock
It's greasy grunge which won't come off easily, it was half an inch thick at the back it looks like it cleaned all the pipes and dropped it in the drum, has anyone had experience removing it please? Ive removed the main stuff but the drum it still coated, don't want to tell the letting agent yet as they might change me for it.
Thanks

Missingsleepandthecat Thu 09-Jul-15 20:17:55

Try running it again on a 90*c wash without any bleach or detergent, see if that works. Never ever heard of that kind of coating occurring though! shock

olly115 Thu 09-Jul-15 20:36:22

I'll try that and update, it's horrendous I had to scrape it out with a spoon

olly115 Thu 09-Jul-15 20:37:46

That's a big saucepan spoon!

Missingsleepandthecat Thu 09-Jul-15 21:32:48

Ohh, hang on, was the seal like that when you first got there?
it looks a bit disfigured and if thats the case maybe the sludge is bits of rubber?

rabbit123 Thu 09-Jul-15 21:46:21

That looks like a combination of things - fluff, hair, dirt etc. it could also have oil in it from worn bearings, which will warrant a new machine.

I'd send those pictures to the letting agent and ask for a new machine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now