Talk

Advanced search

So I have 2kg of bicarbonate of soda .....

(10 Posts)
babyiwantabump Thu 09-Jul-15 17:08:11

What can I do with this supposedly magical substance to make cleaning easier and things sparkle around the home?

Ormally Thu 09-Jul-15 20:17:27

Well I'm sorry to lower the tone straight away...but if clearing up residue of sick or wee, it is your best friend. Hopefully you won't need it too imminently.

It is a good deodoriser. You can make it fizz in the toilet bowl and add a couple of drops of a nice oil, bung lavender flowers in it etc (like making flavoured sugar). You can sprinkle this over carpets or rugs overnight and hoover them to lift out smells.

Bicarb and lemon is meant to be quite a classic combination but I forget what it is best for now.

HermioneWeasley Thu 09-Jul-15 20:19:22

Sprinkle in stinky shoes to deodorise

Alfabetibisgeti Thu 09-Jul-15 20:26:56

Just finished tackling the black mould on the silicone round the bath. Used a paste of bicarbonate and bleach painted on with a toothbrush. Not totally white again but still a huge difference.

Petradreaming Fri 10-Jul-15 13:05:05

Sprinkle some into plug holes and drains - follow up with white vinegar and it fizzes all the dirt away. Pop some in an egg cup & place in the fridge, it absorbs smells ( garlic/onion etc)

Scoobydoo8 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:47:19

In the US you buy bicarb in cardboard boxes which you open and keep in the fridge or wardrobe to absorb smells.
bicarb

MyFriendsCallMeOh Fri 10-Jul-15 13:48:55

I live in the USA and buy huge boxes of bicarbonate to sprinkle over my carpets, leave and hour and vacuum up. Works really well as a carpet deodorizer and no chemical or synthetic fragrances.....

honeysucklejasmine Fri 10-Jul-15 13:49:16

Second the bleach and bicarbonate trick. I left it on for 24 hours, went completely white again.

HippyChickMama Fri 10-Jul-15 13:52:11

Run some through your washing machine or dishwasher on an empty hot wash to clean them. Sprinkle over damp stainless steel sink and draining board and use a cut lemon to scrub it before rinsing. Sprinkle over mattresses, leave for a while then vacuum off to freshen mattress.

babyiwantabump Fri 10-Jul-15 18:29:25

Oooh will get on the bleach and board trick with the sealant straight away!

Some fab ideas thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now