Talk

Advanced search

Sorry another Kondo question - anyone Kondo'd their belongings and then regretted it?

(16 Posts)
plipplops Tue 07-Jul-15 11:49:15

I've nearly finished reading the book and have mixed feelings - on the one hand I'm really excited to get rid of so much of the crap in our house, but also frightened that if I actually discard every item of clothing that doesn't spark joy I'll have nothing left?! But I can't help but think that if you're going to do it you should do it properly?

Also what about your children's stuff? DDs are 6 and 8, and I have a feeling if I asked if they really loved their clothes they'd just chuck the lot!

HopeClearwater Tue 07-Jul-15 22:21:36

I've Kondo'd a lot of my clothes and it's made things easier. There's more room in my wardrobe and it's actually easier to get dressed and co-ordinate outfits. I'm also getting more enjoyment out of wearing certain items. I've left the kids' clothes alone though - they grow out of them quickly and I regularly charity shop / donate the old ones so there's no hoarding problem there.
I regret letting one pair of shoes go but they really did need to go - they sparked joy because they were so comfy but looked very scruffy and dirty ... I miss them though!

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Tue 07-Jul-15 22:25:23

I've only done clothes, shoes and paperwork so far, but I can't actually remember what I have thrown out blush which does prove it's working for me I suppose!

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Tue 07-Jul-15 22:25:46

Oh and books, forgot about them too!

lightningstrikes Wed 08-Jul-15 20:48:14

I did get rid of almost all my clothes. Then I looked at what was left, tried everything on and put outfits together and then made a list of a few things I wanted to add to round out the wardrobe. I now have a capsule wardrobe that works very well. I can disregard most everything I see in shops / online as I know exactly what I need / want. It has eliminated any impulse clothes shopping.

I did the kids' clothes as well, but I do know what they tend to wear and what the favourites are. They hardly wore anything of what they had and made such a mess of it. I've now got everything folded and stored so they can see it. My 3 year old does still pull things out, but there is far less for me to fold back up. Crucially, he is now trying to fold and put things back himself (without a word from me he folded his new pants last night and put them in his own drawer - he was so pleased with himself smile

I haven't looked back and don't even remember what I got rid of. If you are unsure you can always put (a very select few) maybes in a box out of sight and out of the way. If you remember something and are willing to make the effort to get it out of the box then it is there, if not, then you have your answer.

Hairylegs007 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:00:38

Took me hours each week over a 6 month period to complete the process and it has improved my life 10 fold! My house is so much easier to clean/tidy, I'm only surrounded by lovely things instead of feeling buried under chaotic mess. It's been positive both mentally and physically

Each family member only has 3 drawers worth of clothes. Oddly that's more then enough stuff! It's all nicely folded as recommended in the book and we can see everything in one quick glance. We went through everything together initially so that I could ensure they had enough pants, a dress, x many school tops. I got rid of anything with stains or holes too.

I have chucked almost all my rubbishy wardrobe contents and was then able to see the gaps and what I needed to buy to complete various outfits. I've spent the last few months buying odd items. The great thing is that the new items have been very useful

The washing is very easy to sort now.

Hairylegs007 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:03:25

Google capsule wardrobe. Great ideas and induration

Hairylegs007 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:03:40

Inspiration

JimmyCorkhill Wed 08-Jul-15 21:06:41

The only thing we donated that we regretted was DH's Harry Potter books. I said he was a fool for keeping hold of them for DD1 (5) as she wouldn't be interested for years and by then books will be in pill form or similar grin She is well and truly addicted to Harry Potter now after seeing the first film. DH LOVES being smug. Other than that, we have missed nothing. In fact, i am on the 2nd and third round of getting rid of things I thought sparked joy but actually don't.

Hairylegs007 Wed 08-Jul-15 22:03:00

Yes I've had three sweeps of my belongings too. I quite like pinpointing something I can get rid of.

Bragadocia Wed 08-Jul-15 22:07:46

I was thinking a daly or two ago that I was too ruthless sorting out my fabric stash, as I got rid of something I now want to sew with! However, it's better to miss one thing and have to replace it when finances allow, than keep twenty things 'just in case'. That's the general philosophy I'm trying to have about it. Not that I've finished with MK yet; there is much work to do...

mistymeanour Thu 09-Jul-15 16:13:08

I have been wondering about this too. For instance I have a wide brimmed woven sun hat that I thought of junking many times but was so glad on a recent super hot day to have it when I went out. Same story for a jacket that I don't like (it's very smart) but was perfect recently for a job interview and then there is my rain jacket - useful but unlovely. Would cost a lot to replace many things I don't love but are indispensable a few times a year.

I do love decluttering though - so cathartic. We lived for a year (job placement) in Tokyo years ago in a tiny tiny flat - it was amazing how little you needed to get by.

What does the book recommend if you are a declutterer but your partner is the clutterbuck. My Dc think our house is clean but cluttered - my partner just keeps plies of things everywhere and gradually encroaches in every room making them very unlovely.

plipplops Thu 09-Jul-15 16:56:50

Misty she just says to sort your stuff out and hope it inspires the rest of the household! It's an interesting read though I'm quite inspired. Since starting this thread I've done my wardrobe and binned half my clothes - I feel quite relieved to have got rid of them really. I don't think I'll follow the book to the letter but have just taken half my tupperware drawer to the charity shop and am starting on the cupboard under the stairs nowsmile. I'm trying to work out what to try and sell and what to just shift out as it'd be nice to make a little cash but I want rid of it all quickly too!

Feeling a little bad as DH bought me a Boden jumper for Christmas which was just the size and colour I asked for but it just doesn't suit me. It was quite expensive so I emailed them to see if I could send it back without telling him but I can't. So they're sending a returns label but I'll have to tell him. I'm hoping he won't mind too much and I can buy myself something lovely with the credit! Also my sister saw in my charity bag a scarf she'd knitted me a couple of years agoblush, there's a lot to be said for just shipping it all out fast!

JimmyCorkhill Thu 09-Jul-15 18:42:09

my sister saw in my charity bag a scarf she'd knitted me a couple of years ago

Oh plipplops how embarrassing! I have had this but only with the DC so I say "how did that get in there?" whilst doing my best puzzled face!

misty I think the 'sparks joy' can be quite tenuous. So whilst you don't love your raincoat, you are filled with joy when you are kept dry whilst wearing it!

mistymeanour Thu 09-Jul-15 19:32:01

Plipplops the Tupperware drawer what a good idea - it takes up so much room.

JimmyCorkhill like your interpretation of "sparks joy"

plipplops Fri 10-Jul-15 19:19:16

Told DH about the Boden jumper today, predictably he didn't seem to care and means I can spend the credit on something joyful, yay!! Cupboard under the stairs is looking good too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now