Talk

Advanced search

What can I clean upvc frames with please?

(16 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 05-Jul-15 20:58:59

Is there something magic? I've tried Cif cleaner but the marks are still there, is there something that will restore it all back to looking like newish? Why on earth are conservatories white anyway, daft colour!hmm

thenightsky Sun 05-Jul-15 20:59:51

Mer car polish is ace.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 05-Jul-15 21:04:08

Will it remove the black stains?

Magic eraser didn't work-that usually works on anything !

SunnySomer Sun 05-Jul-15 21:09:28

Oh. I was about to say magic eraser as that worked on mine. You could try Doktor Power ( available on eBay and Amazon) as that works wonders

ICantDecideOnAUsername Sun 05-Jul-15 21:14:01

We bought a special upvc cleaner. Can't tell you how good it is as it's still in the garage grin.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 05-Jul-15 21:14:09

Oh thanks, I'll google ! It's all nice and clean, just got horrible dark marks from rain drips and old leaves.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 05-Jul-15 21:19:09

grin @icant

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 06-Jul-15 15:14:52

I bought some HG upvc cleaner-useless, no better than waterhmm

Lillyludge Mon 06-Jul-15 18:04:38

I use Everbuild solvent cleaner. It's fab. Even took wood stain off my UPVC window frames.

Huge amount of warnings on it though so be careful blush

lavendersun Mon 06-Jul-15 18:09:38

I just used to use Cif or supermarket own brand cream cleaner when I had UPVC.

I do have this

www.johnscross.co.uk/fenwicks-caravan-cleaner.html?gclid=CPjfzqr_xsYCFQLKtAod5KYHaw

for the white bit on the top of my horse box's once a year clean, wonder if that might work.

HeyDuggee Mon 06-Jul-15 18:09:47

B & q sell a special cleaner - works great. It's in the paint cleaner aisle.

SophieJenkins Mon 06-Jul-15 18:17:27

I think what might happen is that the protective coating on UPVC gradually erodes over the years leaving a surface that is vulnerable to mildew type stains, which are very hard to remove.

You will probably need something industrial if it has got to this stage however it won't repair the surface so will happen again.

I think it is what they call 'built in obsolescence' sadly. Some people paint theirs - never seen that work out well but you never know, it may be possible!

Smurfingreat Mon 06-Jul-15 18:22:35

Don't use Cif! It's abrasive so will take off any protective coating and introduce tiny scratches which just collect more dirt. The everbuild solvent cleaner mentioned above is by far the best product on the market - just don't breathe the fumes in!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 06-Jul-15 18:43:32

Oh well, too late,I used Ciff again but with a non scratch sponge, worked a treat. grin

lavendersun Mon 06-Jul-15 19:02:51

smurf in my old house the people who fitted them told me to use cif with a non abrasive sponge - fairly upmarket local firm too as in they were signed off for use in a conservation area (before we arrived) and far from the cheapest/did all the big houses (made an exception for me grin) and so we just used them to replace the few windows that the previous owner hadn't replaced.

I never knew that they had a protective coating.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 06-Jul-15 20:00:47

I just googled and lots of the glazing firms recommend Cif. Can't be that damaging if it's for baths.

Anyway, it's worked thank goodness but what a waste of nearly 8 quid for the other stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now