Talk

Advanced search

How do you store felt tips, crayons etc?

(11 Posts)
Hardtoknow Fri 03-Jul-15 12:41:03

I have a 5yo and a 3yo and a shoe box filled with all sorts of pens, pencils & crayons ranging from nice ones to party bag tat ones. Attempts at keeping them in their sets are futile (I am hoping that will improve as they get older). I am planning on sorting through the box this weekend & throwing any without a lid, too stubby to use and so on but what do I do with the million or so I'll have left? Shall I at least divide into pens, crayons & pencils? What do I then do with them?
The rest of our craft cupboard is beautifully organised. This bit pains me!
Thanks

bec3105 Fri 03-Jul-15 12:45:51

We have one of these:

http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/40216357/

Then I've laminated some labels to go on each one. We have felt tips, crayons, pencils, glue stick, scissors, rubbers and sharpeners on ours.

bec3105 Fri 03-Jul-15 12:46:33

You can also get this one which might be better
http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/20221864/

midnightmoomoo Fri 03-Jul-15 21:01:13

I use old millicano coffee tins which I cover in wrapping paper. Pencils in one, thin felts in another etc.....

If your kids are really little though I wouldn't worry too much if it's going to drive you quietly nuts when they don't put things back in the right place just like their dad

Hardtoknow Fri 03-Jul-15 22:42:09

Coffee tins are a brilliant idea. We'll finish one this weekend. Even if they don't get put into the right pots, smaller pots will still help I think.

Gusthetheatrecat Sat 04-Jul-15 07:57:17

We also have the IKEA mini chest of drawers. I spray painted ours and stuck chalkboard labels on. It looks brilliant and works really well, I think.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 04-Jul-15 08:21:42

Yoghurt buckets from Lidl, the ones with a handle. Store felt tips point down so you can see what colour they are and they don't dry out.
Wax Crayons in an old mug.

ICantFindAFreeNickName2 Mon 06-Jul-15 22:33:44

We use the Chinese take-away boxes to keep all our art / craft stuff in, If you want to spend a bit more, you can get Really Useful pencil boxes.

FusionChefGeoff Mon 06-Jul-15 22:35:48

A giant pencil case for all of them.

imnottoofussed Mon 06-Jul-15 22:38:06

We use one of these http://www.greatart.co.uk/I-Love-Art-Empty-Plastic-Storage-Boxes.html

Sorry can't remember how to do links on phone but if you search for plastic art storage box that's the type of thing

BackforGood Mon 06-Jul-15 22:44:16

Ice-cream tubs. That way, they can see the one they want / reach in etc., so are less likely to tip them all out.
With smaller pots (like the coffee tins) often they can't get their hand in to reach the one they want, or they can't see the one they want, so they are more likely to tip everything out.
We used to have them sorted into felt pens in one, crayons in another writing pencils in another, colouring pencils in another, stickers or craft bits or whatever in another. They will all stack on top of each other as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now