Talk

Advanced search

what chopping/prep boards do you have/like/hate ..... thrilling question for Friday

(16 Posts)
Pancakeflipper Fri 03-Jul-15 07:23:12

I want advice on boards please!

My big hefty wooden bread board and prep board are finally knackered after 12 years of service.

Looked at the Joseph range. That folding thingy looks flimsy.
Looking at the Ikea boring cheap white ones.
Not sure I can do glass ones as I am clumsy.

Ummmmmmm dilemmas...

LittleMissRayofHope Fri 03-Jul-15 07:30:52

I just got their index boards.
Not huge and I still need a big wooden one for bread but otherwise I love the idea of them being colour coded for different thing, especially raw meat and cooked meat germophobe and they store nicely in their stand. And they are coloured which brightens my kitchen up.
Nice and sturdy as well.

LittleMissRayofHope Fri 03-Jul-15 07:32:11

Sorry, link here

http://www.josephjoseph.com/en-gb/product/index-chopping-boards/

On phone so hope its clicky!

Bolshybookworm Fri 03-Jul-15 07:40:33

The ikea ones are good for the price (nice and thick), I always end up using them more than my fancier wooden board because they're so indestructible. Don't put them in the dishwasher though as they warp.

I think glass ones blunt your knives and make an awful racket- you're wise to avoid them.

BearPear Fri 03-Jul-15 07:49:53

We have those Joseph ones - used all the time. They do become scuffed on the surface over time but other than that they're great - stick them straight in the dishwasher!
They can be a bit of a menace if you are a touch OCD about the order they go in the rack - DH once put them in the reverse order saying that it didn't matter at all in the scheme of things. I managed about 3 days before I re-shuffled them back into harmonious order grin

Penfold007 Fri 03-Jul-15 07:51:28

My mum uses glass boards, I hate them. I have a wood breadboard, wood chopping board and nylon ones for fish, meat etc. If I was replacing them I'd go for a set of coloured nylon boards.

willbillycome Fri 03-Jul-15 08:16:40

I love the lakeland colour coded flexi mats. Last much longer than you expect them to. Once tried tesco version instead and they were really smelly? So sticking to lakeland whenever I need to replace.

TipseyTorvey Fri 03-Jul-15 18:33:39

I too have lots of the thicker white ikea ones. Mine seem fine in the dishwasher so far. I got rid of all my wooden ones as it was too time consuming to handwash and bleach them all the time. I use about three a day and lob them into the dishwasher, so they're very low effort but you're right; they're not very pretty smile

iggymama Fri 03-Jul-15 18:55:14

Glass chopping boards will blunt your knives.

I have a couple of Top Gourmet boards and they are lasting very well. Plus they are dishwasher proof.

wowfudge Sat 04-Jul-15 07:41:19

Plastic boards will also blunt your knives and the surface soon gets marked. I have two - an every day medium sized rubber wood one and a huge bamboo one. Bamboo has natural anti-bacterial properties (apparently). TKMaxx/Homesense usually have a good selection.

A decent wooden board will last ages, just follow sensible food hygiene rules.

DoreenLethal Sat 04-Jul-15 07:53:03

I've been through so many - veggie and keen preserver so am always chopping fruit and veg...I ended up with one from poundland that seems to be lasting better than any of the more expensive ones. My bamboo one warped within a couple of months. Joseph Joseph [bought when it was in the Museum of Modern Art shop in NYC - long before coming to the UK] was so light it was almost confetti with all the chopping...

For my workshops in food though I have the different coloured plastic ones. Because we don't use meat we have red ones spare. These are used to dry clay tiles and models on. grin

PolterGoose Sat 04-Jul-15 15:22:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pancakeflipper Sat 04-Jul-15 17:37:23

Architec one is interesting....liking the look of it ......

Pancakeflipper Sat 04-Jul-15 17:38:09

Have you really got that Fred one???????

PolterGoose Sat 04-Jul-15 17:43:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pancakeflipper Sun 05-Jul-15 10:37:22

OMG you have perfect carrots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now