Toilet Smells of Wee in the Hot Weather

(9 Posts)
Valsoldknickers Wed 01-Jul-15 10:50:56

Just that really. I wipe around every day with toilet wipes, squirt toilet cleaner at night and deep clean every week (not with a toilet brush though, but I am thinking of buying one and going over to the dark side) but there is still a smell of wee in this weather off the loo blush

Any tips please? (Not of the Viz variety thoughgrin)

Many thanks.

AMcoffeeLover Wed 01-Jul-15 14:16:15

Do you have any carpets/fabric mats in your bathroom?

bilbodog Wed 01-Jul-15 15:11:26

sounds like wee may have penetrated around the loo - if you don't have carpets or fabric - if its a wooden floor, do you clean this every week as well as it might have permeated the wood? sounds like you know how to clean a loo though!!! Wash the walls nearby just in case?

AuntieStella Wed 01-Jul-15 15:13:27

If all surfaces are suitably tough, try spraying everything with one of the mould/mildew sprays. It'll seep on to wherever the wee has seeped and should deaden it.

Valsoldknickers Wed 01-Jul-15 15:37:33

Thank you for the replies.

I don't have any carpets, mats or wood in the bathroom, just tiles.

I will try the mould/mildew spray route, cheerssmile. Could be a case of urine seeping into the gap where the toilet rests on the floor. I always wanted to silicone that gap, not sure if that's the norm though.

Another thing has struck me and it's to do with having a two buttoned flush. The little one for flushing after peeing is rather pathetic, maybe the bowl isn't getting a good enough rinse and the smell builds up over the course of the day?

After 10+ years of living in my own home I haven't had a toilet brush but can now see how they might be a necessary evil!

sanfairyanne Wed 01-Jul-15 16:10:51

wooden toilet seat?

have you wiped the floor/walls as well - child with very bad aim might be the cause!

Valsoldknickers Wed 01-Jul-15 17:26:06

DCs' bad aim (they practically start piddling before they get to the bathroom, last minute stuff) probably isn't helping and even though they wipe up maybe a stray few drops hit the floor / go down the outside of the loo or even down the wall sanfairyanne.

The smell can be really eyewatering stuff which makes me feel the warm weather and smell in my toilet have something to do with each other!

No wooden toilet seat as I know they are notorious for soaking up pee and stinking after a while.

RandomMess Wed 01-Jul-15 17:29:24

I've found that the bottom of the edge of the lip just above where the water gushes out from get covered in urine <<boak>>

Try cleaning that with spray and toilet paper if it's all yellow you know that is where the stink has been coming from!

Mitzimaybe Wed 01-Jul-15 18:16:56

From what you say about DCs I suspect it's not the toilet at all, it's the surrounding wall and floor. Buying a loo brush is highly unlikely to fix the problem. I'd be asking any males in the house to sit down to pee in the hot weather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now