Talk

Advanced search

best way to hang a washing line in the garden

(17 Posts)
lighteningmcmama Tue 23-Jun-15 21:48:46

Ours keeps drooping..what are we doing wrong? It's a plastic proper washing line secured to a garden fence pole at one end and the porch roof at the other end.

Crikeyblimey Tue 23-Jun-15 21:50:45

You need a clothes prop.

RoganJosh Tue 23-Jun-15 21:50:52

We had one that was much higher than you'd want at one end that worked ok. Otherwise I've always had to use a prop. I think they do just stretch a bit.

lostscot Tue 23-Jun-15 21:51:50

Long forked branch here to prop it up.

PoshPenny Tue 23-Jun-15 22:35:59

Clothes prop, either make your own, or I guess you could buy one from somewhere like an old fashioned ironmongery shop.

lighteningmcmama Tue 23-Jun-15 23:26:56

Thank you for your replies

I've looked up clothes props and it seems they could help! Can I use it on paving stones? We don't have grass/lawn in our garden. Also, some ppl said in the reviews they take theirs in overnight, is that only with retractable washing lines? Our line is permanent iyswim.

Thank you!

lilacblossomtime Tue 23-Jun-15 23:31:47

Yes get a prop, you don't need to take it in but maybe wipe it before use in case it gets dirty or damp and that will get on your washing.

lilacblossomtime Tue 23-Jun-15 23:32:46

You can use the prop on paving just make sure it has a rubber or similar base so it won't slip.

SitsOnFence Tue 23-Jun-15 23:37:50

I second the too-high line. I fling the heaviest item up and over first, then do the next heaviest on my tiptoes. Then it's all reachable. An added bonus is that it is less obtrusive when not in use.

Etak15 Tue 23-Jun-15 23:39:02

These little local DIY shops that sell everything would be good place to get one

WanderWomble Tue 23-Jun-15 23:44:55

My prop is home made- it's a long bit of 2x1 lumber with a notch cut in the top. It works great on my paving stones.

wowfudge Wed 24-Jun-15 07:35:26

They sell props in Morrisons.

IReallyAmHephzibah Wed 24-Jun-15 07:42:01

I am amazed that no one seems to have washing lines with a pully?! That way you can lower the line to put washing on it then pull it up out of the way to dry washing and no need to struggle pegging clothes onto it or faffing about with a line prop.

Shesparkles Wed 24-Jun-15 18:42:30

I have a home made prop too-instead of a notch I have a screw put half way in-seriously lazy prop making here

Flomple Wed 24-Jun-15 22:13:29

Argos and b&q both sell props. And tighten up your line - they sag over time.

A prop is fine on our decking. I was worried it wouldn't stay but with the line putting it under tension it's fine.

We have ours above head height, it does stretch down as soon as you put the first thing on. We can't go higher as it is strung between two single storey buildings. Got prop at Homebase or similar I think. Just lean it in a corner when not in use.

lighteningmcmama Wed 24-Jun-15 23:38:48

Thanks all-I've ordered a clothes prop. I hope it solves our problem! I couldn't find one that seemed to have a strong top clip according to the reviews, so I hope it does prove to be sturdy.

I can't believe I've never heard of a clothes prop before! Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now