Talk

Advanced search

Help - I think I've buggered my washing machine

(13 Posts)
moreshitandnofuckingredemption Sat 20-Jun-15 22:44:40

Aaaargh - I used a cloth and some sticker removing chemical stuff earlier, chucked the cloth in the washing machine with some other stuff and put a wash on. Wash finished, everything stinks of the sticker removing chemical. I rewash everything (except the cloth), still stinks, I hang washing outside (in the rain!) thinking I'll deal with it later. I put ANOTHER wash on, empty, bio powder in every orifice, still stinks.

How do I get rid of this smell?!? It's really solvent-y. For now I've just left the door open and am getting gently high off the fumes but have I just completely knackered it or is there anything I can do? HEEEEELP!

princessvikki Sun 21-Jun-15 07:29:02

Try a Dr Beckman kit I think it's called service it deep clean

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sun 21-Jun-15 07:38:19

Yes, ivesometimes hadf that with sticky stuff remover.

Before you try the Beckman kit try vinegar. Fill every part of the dispenser drawer with vinegar, plus a dosing ball full of vinegar in the drum, then run a hot wash with a soak cycle. When that's done, drain your sump and leave the machine doors open for 24h. This always gets rid of all stinks in my machine.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sun 21-Jun-15 07:40:37

BTW if you leave the clothes outside the sunshine should clear the smell from them.

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Sun 21-Jun-15 07:59:21

Thanks so much, will try the vinegar first and see how I go.
theyremad there's not much sunshine here just now but fingers crossed for later on!

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Sun 21-Jun-15 08:06:59

Does it have to be white vinegar or is malt vinegar ok?
[clueless]

TheGirlFromIpanema Sun 21-Jun-15 08:20:37

I'd put a cap full of bleach in the drum and run a boil wash OP.

mousmous Sun 21-Jun-15 08:28:42

malt vinegar stains slightly.
ok for dark clothes though.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sun 21-Jun-15 16:10:00

Malt vinegar should work as well. Just make sure that your first cycle after that is a dark load.

I keep white vinegar in my cleaning cupboard. Wouldn't dream of eating the stuff!

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Sun 21-Jun-15 22:01:43

Well I did an empty wash with a load of vinegar in it, and after that it just smelt of solvent and vinegar. So I tried the Sainsburys washing machine cleaner and it did seem a bit better. I then did a wash (starting to get desperate!) and got everything out the second it stopped, and it seems a lot better, but it is definitely still there... guessing it will improve over time sad

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Mon 22-Jun-15 00:37:24

You needed to drain the sump and leave the machine open for 24h after vinegaring, to get rid of the smell of the solvent.

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Mon 22-Jun-15 11:37:37

Drain the sump? Is that the bit at the bottom that clogs with fluff and hairclips?

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Mon 22-Jun-15 22:47:42

Yup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now