Talk

Advanced search

cleaner + ID documents

(9 Posts)
bananacarnival Wed 17-Jun-15 11:06:19

I've got a new cleaner coming along for a trial this week. I've asked her to bring proof of identity and address. Am I legally allowed to take a copy of her docs on my photocopier/ photo on phone?
Feel really embarrassed about doing it but feel it's necessary as I always take on cleaners without checking, then worry.

Also, if the trial is no good, how do you let them down gently?

Thanks

wowfudge Wed 17-Jun-15 17:16:31

The onus is on you to prove you checked her ID so without copies, how can you? If it doesn't work out, can you just say, 'sorry, it isn't working for me so we won't be progressing beyond the trial'?

bananacarnival Wed 17-Jun-15 22:12:17

Thanks wowfudge, nice and simple!

BallsforEarrings Fri 19-Jun-15 22:33:26

Eh? Shouldn't she have the relevant documentation to show you when she does your quote such as insurance documents which surely prove ID and legitimate operation?

RedandYellow24 Fri 19-Jun-15 22:38:30

It's up to you to show you checked she is legally allowed to work in the UK. I always take a photocopy of passport and letter with address on. Not that I would know if a passport was illegal or not but if she turns out to be ilegal and you can show in all good faith the price you saw was ok then in ideally world you shouldn't be fined!
I think if someone's having access /keys to your home it's only fair to ask abd copy copies of ID in case you need these later.
You could try the I'm trying one more person next week I will let you know by phone. If you don't want to do it face to face

BallsforEarrings Fri 19-Jun-15 23:16:00

Oh I see, is this person not from the UK? Sorry I didn't understand that at first!

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 21-Jun-15 16:26:59

You can't tell if someone's "from the uk" by talking to them. Just because they have a local accent, speak fluent English etc doesn't prove that they were born here or have the right to work here.

If you're employing them directly, you need to check that they have the right to work in the uk. You'll also have to make sure that you're paying tax etc and I think there are now rules about pension liabilities for employers.

If the cleaner is self-employed, and you are buying the service from her, then I don't think you have to check her right to work. But I'm not an HR expert so don't rely on me.

BallsforEarrings Sun 21-Jun-15 19:53:10

Yes, as above, I assumed at first the cleaner would be self-employed or an employee of a company not the OP but if you are employing her yourself it will show up on her NI number if she's not legal.

Personally I think you definitely shouldn't employ a cleaner directly, it would be so expensive and entails so much liability and is such a faff to run payroll, better to purchase services from a self-employed cleaner or hire a company who takes care of employing and training their cleaners for you.

ecomum74 Mon 22-Jun-15 12:10:50

I operate an Eco cleaning company and to me it seems obvious that it's hard enough having a complete stranger in your home especially one without any CRB check if they may be around your children or vulnerable family members or permission to work in the UK, if they don't you may be fined! plus references and experience!
Also you get what you pay for. As with most things in life and paying a small amount to someone you trust in your home is false economy, if your cutting costs they will cut corners too, my advice would be pay a fair price and have a satisfied cleaner who will work better for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now