Talk

Advanced search

Do I actually need those plastic drawer fronts in my freezer

(9 Posts)
RabbitSaysWoof Tue 16-Jun-15 16:39:35

One of the pull down drawer front things in my freezer broke off ages ago, I'm balancing it back up every time I open the main door, does it serve a purpose other than letting you store right to the front? Should I get a new one before I chuck it?

hedwig2001 Tue 16-Jun-15 16:44:00

I have had to replace several drawer fronts. There are several spares companies online, who are quite reasonable.

Mumbledore Tue 16-Jun-15 16:52:33

2 of mine have fallen off and things are forever sliding out. Drives me nuts! I didn't know you could replace them, I don't suppose I ever thought about it too much.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 17-Jun-15 07:35:26

Depends on what you store in them - the top shelf of my freezer is all batch cooked frozen food, which I store in old takeaway containers, so a door is totally not necessary. The other three shelves are shoved full of all kinds of odds and sods so I need the door to hold it all back!

LegArmpits Wed 17-Jun-15 07:39:16

I took all mine off. It's fine.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 17-Jun-15 07:46:54

I loathe them and actually remove them soon after purchase! Most of our frozen stuff is stackable though as we also use takeaway containers or similar (or food bags in takeaway containers, so you can freeze into block shapes)

QuiteQuietly Wed 17-Jun-15 09:56:07

I took them off and bought big plastic boxes that fit the space to use as drawers. Then I can pull the whole drawer out and shut the freezer door while I rummage or restack. I freeze in blocks and decant peas etc into boxes, so everything stack nicely inside the "drawer". Freezers are more energy efficient when they are full, so having the plastic drawer flap means you can fill right to the edge without an avalanche when you open the freezer door. I wouldn't go back to having shelves with or without flappy doors.

RabbitSaysWoof Wed 17-Jun-15 20:09:08

Thanks I threw it out, I'm a batch cooker too so everything stacked nicely.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sat 20-Jun-15 00:42:28

Tje top shelf inour freezer has a drop-downn plastic dtawer. One of the plastic pins holding it in broke off. We got a replacement but that broke as well. We are forever jamming the drawer front back.

My concern is that, without the drawer front, the shelf is likely to ice up very quickly. I hadn't thought about just removing it and see what happens.

I do like the suggestions about buying a plastic box and sliding it in/out. I'll have to see if we can find one roughly the right size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now