Talk

Advanced search

Clothes- colours fading - washing machine or soap powder problem?

(4 Posts)
Missushb Tue 16-Jun-15 09:47:44

Hi, any advice- colours and black clothes come out of the washing quite faded in a short period of time from then they are new. I use non bio powder, fabric softener, and wash colours and whites together. Is that also a faux pas?! Our washing machine is 5 years old, got it new. Should I wash colours and whites seperately? And use a colour powder with colours? My mum always used non bio with everything, but did wash whites and colours seperately, so my method is just for speed! My faded jeans and clothes are annoying me though!

e1y1 Tue 16-Jun-15 22:57:58

It's your powder, all powders (except colour and eco versions) contain bleach., but especially non bio - it's wracked with bleach (as non bio doesn't contain enzymes like a bio does, it has to rely on bleach for stain removal). So whilst non bio powder is fantastic for whites, not so much for colours.

SpendSpendSpend Tue 16-Jun-15 23:01:50

Wow im amazed that your light coloured clothes dont have dye on them.

WishITookLifeSeriously Tue 16-Jun-15 23:06:23

One tip I read on here was to wash all clothes inside out. It hadn't ever occurred to me before that the outside of my clothes was fading but the colour on the inside was perfect!
I'd also never wash whites with colours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now