Talk

Advanced search

Good spider catcher?

(13 Posts)
ImpatientGriselda2 Tue 16-Jun-15 01:56:35

Used to have one of the ones which has a clear pyramid on a stick. The sliding door didn't usually work by itself, and the creature's legs would get stuck in it. And it wasn't very big.

Looking for a better one on Amazon and Ebay. I can see two other main types.
One has plastic bristles, and I'm not very confident they'd keep a large spider secure if you have to put the catcher down to unlock a door to put the thing outside.
The others have vacuum action. Can' t tell how efficient this is, if the spiders can get out if you take too long to put them outside, or if the end is big enough to put over spiders with long legs.

Any recommendations or experiences with these?

MooseBeTimeForSummer Tue 16-Jun-15 02:25:56

A cat

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 16-Jun-15 08:19:50

Dammit, I was coming on her to say "A dog!" but moose has basically beaten me to it.

You could maybe put something over the plastic bristle one once you've caught the spider if you're worried about escapees?

CarpeJugulum Tue 16-Jun-15 08:21:39

Lakeland's spider sucker

Whole family have them now.

ImpatientGriselda2 Tue 16-Jun-15 09:55:18

LetThereBeCupcakes - thanks. maybe the end bit could go in a pint glass whilst opening the door. I don't like putting spiders out of the window as it's so close to the house and the same one might get back in again through small gaps.

I read Amazon reviews after posting the thread and some of the vacuum types are apparently too small for bigger spiders. Couldn't tell if that would apply to the Lakeland catcher as well.

Might end up trying both kinds as they are not hugely expensive.

RedandYellow24 Tue 16-Jun-15 09:57:42

I've got a bristle type one they keep hold of spider very well until you can get outside.

I had a slider door before but if you accidentally turn it the door opens and spider comes out!

BarbieBrightSide Tue 16-Jun-15 10:05:36

I have the bristle type and it's been fab. The bristles do hold the spider in, I live on a farm and we get huge spiders. It's secure enough for me to catch them upstairs and come downstairs to let them out. I love it.

It wouldn't open if you lay it down, because you have to squeeze the trigger to open the bristles to catch the spider, and then they close round it. You have to squeeze it again to open them again to let the spider out.

(I used to be a glass and paper and chuck out of the window person, until a vet told me that doing that could kill them, which kind of defeated the catching to release them!)

ImpatientGriselda2 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:20:35

Thanks RedandYellow24 and BarbieBrightside - sounds like the bristle type is one I'd like to try first.
I don't mind smallish spiders or the wispy sort and leave them be, so something that can deal with the bigguns is useful, and not having to remember to change batteries is good too.

BarbieBrightSide Wed 17-Jun-15 10:04:25

Looking at Amazon, I'm not sure whether there is more than one type of bristle catcher. I have this one in light green.

plipplops Thu 18-Jun-15 14:39:34

We have a bristle one but I can't use it as it's only about 50cm long so you have to get way too close to the spider to use it! Also if you put them outside they just come back in, I'm for squishing them I'm afraid smile

ImpatientGriselda2 Fri 19-Jun-15 15:59:08

It's arrived. The same one as BarbieBrightside linked, also the green/yellow. I got it through Primrose who've generally been good quality in the past. There's a cover for the bristles too, which I wasn't expecting. Used it on a spider a bit bigger than their plastic practice one and it was easily secure enough to carry it about 20 metres without dropping it.
Also tried it on a fairly small bug of about 1in that I didn't mind, just to see how it worked - the bug crawled out and along the bristles rather than getting completely trapped. But the thing looks very useful for removing spiders of the size I mind seeing in the house.
Thanks.

Outwith Fri 19-Jun-15 16:04:59

Oh God, just reading this thread gives me the creeps confused.

I'm going to get the Lakeland one.

BarbieBrightSide Mon 22-Jun-15 14:11:31

You're welcome!

I hope you have not too many happy and free spiders as a result!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now