Advanced search

What should I be asking potential cleaner?

(7 Posts)

I'm consider hiring a cleaner for about 3 hours a week to do some of the weekly things I hate don't have time to do, but what should I be asking for? The one in the pipeline is self employed, should I ask for references/DBS check? Will she have these? I don't want to offend but at the same time I'm wary of a stranger coming to the house. DH would be here most of the time but obviously won't be following her to every room grin

EldonAve Sun 14-Jun-15 17:44:34

I ask for references and photo ID

2fedup Sun 14-Jun-15 17:48:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Murdermysteryreader Sun 14-Jun-15 17:49:12

Insurance, whether you will have to provide cleaning products or will they, (this can make a difference to costs - if they request a lot of expensive stuff) whether it is them cleaning or sub contracted , what you want cleaning .

BallsforEarrings Sun 14-Jun-15 22:08:13

She definitely should be furnished with public liability insurance for your peace of mind, ask if it includes key holding insurance too.

The other thing you need to know is - is she registered as a tax payer with HMRC to prove she's trading legally and not working 'under the table'. Try not to pay in cash for this reason.

If these two items are covered all is legitimate and above board.

Thanks everyone. I've had a chat with the lady who said she's in the process of sorting insurance, and would prefer cash as it's currently to tide her over in between jobs. I know if she was found out she would potentially be hit with a big tax bill, but would there be any repercussions for me and DH for paying her in the first place? As far as I'm concerned she'd be self employed rather than employed by us. So confused but really want to give her a chance confused

BallsforEarrings Fri 19-Jun-15 21:47:23

Well potentially you could be regarded as her employer if she has not registered as self-employed with the tax office and then you are responsilbe for withholding tax and NI contributions plus any student loan repayments plus other statutory obligtions such as holiday and sick pay, you really do NOT want to be classified as an employer by HMRC and if you are it is not up to her or you it is up to them to decide based upon certain criteria.

If she is not registered as self employed with them HMRC will want to hold someone accountable for her employment and that could be you, it is unlikely she only has you as a client and in any case must declare all her income with HMRC as per the law, anyone who pays in cash without proof of her registration could be deemed as colluding with these illegal activities.

Lack of insurance could be a problem if she left the gas on or caused a fire or flood or had a personal accident in your home and held you responsible for it. keyholding insurance could be a bonus too as if you ever needed to change the locks because she lost your keys it isn't cheap to do.

You do really need a legitimate service to be safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now