Talk

Advanced search

Can I ever get rid of limescale on shower panels?

(18 Posts)
MrsRossPoldark Wed 10-Jun-15 16:53:59

Had our showers fitted with lovely 'glass' shower panels 17 (yes I know) years ago and they got scaled up. We installed a water softener a couple of years later but the scale remains. Between times we have had periods where the water softener wasn't working due to my being seriously ill & DH not taking responsibility for renewing the salt regularly.

Is there really a way to get rid of ingrained limescale it do we just give up & replace the panels to start from fresh?

I have tried off the shelf chemicals & vinegar / lemon juice / other natural remedies.

coffeeisnectar Wed 10-Jun-15 17:04:53

Toilet cleaner with the timescale remover is great but it needs to sit on the area affected for a while. You may need to take the panels off to do it. Or lay panels down, sprinkle with bicarb and spray with white vinegar and leave to work.

Sapat Wed 10-Jun-15 17:22:03

I have similar problems due to my sloppy housekeeping (3 kids and full time job), the only thing that has worked is Viakal (squirts green bottle). And I have tried everything.

Panzee Wed 10-Jun-15 17:22:40

HG bath shine does mine.

Pufflemum Wed 10-Jun-15 17:28:49

Cilit bang in the purple bottle. Spray it on then rub it all over. Leave for 5-10 mins, rub again then rinse then dry with a dry cloth. Its a miracle. Make sure you wear rubber gloves as it also removes nail varnish and skin!

specialsubject Thu 11-Jun-15 09:45:23

natural items are also chemicals. And bicarb sprayed with white vinegar does nothing as they neutralise each other.

I find that a combination of a sponge scrubber and an own brand limescale remover does the trick, with a fair bit of elbow grease.

open the window.

dairyfarmerswife Fri 12-Jun-15 10:05:00

I fear ours are permanently damaged. I don't know if that's possible. Have used various descaling products over the years but nothing, including the really nasty and the natural, seems to shift it. There is still a pattern sad

Sorry, that's not very helpful, I'm on the lookout for a miracle product too.

MrsRossPoldark Fri 12-Jun-15 18:34:27

Dairyfarmerswife: I've tried all the suggestions from posters too & I am coming to the same conclusion - too far gone. If we win the lottery I'll buy new & start again!

slicedfinger Fri 12-Jun-15 18:37:14

£95m tonight. That would be one hell of a shower screen! grin

Tinkerisdead Fri 12-Jun-15 18:40:54

Could you try an oven blade? Its like a blade that scrapes an oven/glass clean. Go over it with one, AND THEN try the chemicals? They're only a few quid.

SundaySunshine Sat 13-Jun-15 00:52:10

Stardrops - it seems to clean absolutely everything I've tried it on, including grimy shower screens.

MrsRossPoldark Sat 13-Jun-15 12:13:01

Sundaysunshine: never heard of Stardrops? Can you get it in Morrisons?!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Jun-15 12:27:48

Malt vinegar on an ecloth/microfibre cloth & elbow grease.

It will eat through the scale. I suspect star drops is detergent more. than anything.

BrokenFoot Sat 13-Jun-15 18:36:49

Have you tried spraying loads of viakal on it and leaving it for a few hours?

SundaySunshine Sun 14-Jun-15 21:50:18

MrsRoss you can get Stardrops in Wilko's, not seen it anywhere else. When its dry I rub it down with a microfibre cloth; works a charm.

BallsforEarrings Fri 19-Jun-15 22:35:15

Any acid based cleaner or chemical, including vinegar, will help break down limescale, which is an alkali ph.

Hidingbehindclouds Fri 19-Jun-15 22:44:30

Cilit bang limescale and grime or whatever it's called and a scourer soaked in vinegar. Oh and if you pop your shower head into a bag full of it, it works really well to dissolve any limescale inside

thenightsky Fri 19-Jun-15 22:53:17

Came on to say Cilit Bang Lime and Grime version. But see it's been mentioned already.

Here is a comparison for you. Me and DH use separate showers. He never cleans his apart from running a window blade thing over the screen. I Cilit Bang Lime and Grime once a week, rinse off and then window blade mine. Mine is clear as day and his is opaque.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now