Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine + separate dryer or combined unit?

(20 Posts)
BusyCee Fri 05-Jun-15 13:56:46

Any thoughts? Experiences? Currently have two separate units which has worked fine, but our new kitchen has less space so am considering a washer dryer.

AEG washer dryer (7kg wash/4kg dry) had been recommended - any experiences? Is the difference between wet and dry capabilities a problem?

Thanks in advance

BusyCee Fri 05-Jun-15 13:58:55

Or LG F14A8YD?

PolterGoose Fri 05-Jun-15 15:56:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Finola1step Fri 05-Jun-15 15:57:26

Separate. Every time.

rabbit123 Fri 05-Jun-15 16:22:20

Agreed, separates.

Free standing dryers have a bigger fan so they can dry bigger loads quicker and at lower heat. WD's get VERY hot as they have a tiny fan and have a habit of shrinking things.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Jun-15 17:29:45

Separates every time.

superram Fri 05-Jun-15 19:01:32

You just get hot wet washing with a combined one-waste of time.

TheseSoles Fri 05-Jun-15 19:09:53

I wouldn't have a washer dryer unless you have no space are rarely use the dryer (which is us) if you do go for it definitely get a high end one.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 05-Jun-15 19:22:00

Separate . Sorry but the combined ones are a waste of money imo. confused

storybrooke Fri 05-Jun-15 19:26:36

I have a combined Hoover one and its the biggest pile of shite a bit rubbish. I don't even use it to dry anymore, not that it did that very well anyway. If you can get seperate do it, the only reason we had to was no space in the kitchen. On a bad day I'd swear if I'd have known how badly it dries I'd have put it in the dining room! angry

FishWithABicycle Fri 05-Jun-15 19:29:43

I'm never getting a washerdryer again they are a right pain. The drying function never works very well and will die sooner than the washer function and you end up having to either live without a drier or throw away a functional washing machine. I if you have space for both get both.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 05-Jun-15 19:31:36

my £650 AEG washer dryer has just given up after only 4 years. Too expensive to fix. Was told by repair man they are rubbish now and not worth the price tab since they were taken over by Electrolux and moved from Germany to Italy. As others say combined dryer is rubbish, we've just replaced with separates and dryer in comparison is brilliant.

FishWithABicycle Fri 05-Jun-15 19:31:56

storybrooke X-post and you made me smile. We are only managing to have 2 separate by having the dryer in the dining room but it is worth it!

willbillycome Fri 05-Jun-15 19:33:09

We had nowhere for seperate units so had to be combined. I would certainly look for something with the same/very similar load sizes. I've 'got to know' mine, at first I thought it was awful but with trial and error now have my routines which work.

You HAVE to take the clothes straight out when drying has finished or they just become damp as they cool. So I either set it to finish when I know I will be free to take it out, or if I wont be about I set it to just nearly dry (iron dry) then give it a final half hour blast when I was ready to sort it.

Have had both mid range and top range washer driers, the top range had some nice extra features but the drying abilities were the same.

lipsynch Fri 05-Jun-15 19:36:47

Defo separate.
Combined washing machines are crap

chippednailvarnish Fri 05-Jun-15 19:38:11

This thread has really pissed on my fire grin

I don't have room for both in my kitchen, so i was planning on a combination in the kitchen. I currently have a dryer in a room upstairs and it looks like that's where its staying!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Jun-15 19:44:45

I think really you need machines of equal size, no point doing 10kg of washing but only being able to tumble 7kg.

Holdonforonemoreday Fri 05-Jun-15 20:08:38

I've had a Bosch washer dryer for the last 7 years and it's been brilliant.

storybrooke Fri 05-Jun-15 20:11:47

Fish I envy you. If the man who sold it us wasn't near retirement I'd have hunted him down grin

BusyCee Sat 06-Jun-15 08:09:09

Oh dear. Not the answers I wanted (was hoping for at least an advocate or two raving about them...) but now I know!!

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now