Advanced search

do I have grounds to sue my council

(6 Posts)
mishatiameliko Fri 05-Jun-15 00:09:26

Around a year ago I noticed a leak coming from my bathroom to my kitchen ceiling I reported this an they replaced my toilet box tiled around the sink an put new bath panel on. They put new plaster board up in the kitchen. 2weeks ago I noticed the leak had came back. I rang the council an got a emergency plumber out. He said the bathroom sink was blocked and unblocked it he did not look under bath or sink nor the toilet. The council rang a few days later to see if I was happy with the repair I said no as the leak was still there an they asked if I wanted to complain I said yes. They told me a new date was in the post for the repair. Then on Monday in the kitchen washing the post and the ceiling collapsed over me head. I was knocked on unconscious. My friend had to ring a ambulance an the fire service also attended. I had to go to hospital and have a brain scan. I told the council what happened an they have shown no content to me or what has happen. Am sore an very shaken.. I have 3 young children an they are always in the kitchen eating or getting drinks.. I can't bare to think if they would of bin in there

wowfudge Fri 05-Jun-15 07:41:40

Well quite likely yes - document what happened and take photos. The reason they are showing no concern is because they do not want to admit liability. You would have to show negligence on their part (or that of their contractor) and they will probably settle rather than end up in court and their insurers cover the costs.

Please make sure your friends and family and neighbours know what happened to you and also let your GP know - I don't want to worry you, but when you've had a head injury you need to keep an eye on things and get some follow up checks too.

It's up to you whether you want to take things further and depends how hurt you are to an extent. I would be inclined to use what happened as leverage to get the plumbing issue properly fixed then see how you feel from there. Surely you would have noticed a blocked sink though? That sounds like a total misdiagnosis from what you've posted.

Hope you are okay and can fully understand how you are feeling. flowers

GirlInterupted Fri 05-Jun-15 16:46:54

I'm not usually in favour of this suing culture we live in but in your case I think you definitely should!

mishatiameliko Fri 05-Jun-15 18:19:57

Thanks I've been having headaches head pain.. and it's all stressful.. still here with a big hole in my ceiling. Someone is to blame for this happening.. Am getting advice from a solicitor.. some needs to answer for this..

wowfudge Fri 05-Jun-15 18:23:21

I guarantee you a solicitor will advise you to sue - you have to weigh up whether it will be worth the medical appointments and drawn out process. Also be very careful what the fee agreement is with the solicitor and how much of any pay out you could get will go to them.

mishatiameliko Fri 05-Jun-15 21:03:29

It's been a on going issue which they should of repaired properly the first.. Plus my children had just come out of the kitchen. If it knocked me unconscious then I would not like to think what it would of done to tell my kids are 7,4,and 2..I think it's worth my time. And teach where cutting corners gets them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now