Talk

Advanced search

sweat smell on blouses after washing

(32 Posts)
nuttybananas Mon 25-May-15 20:17:18

They are mostly cotton - a few poly/cotton mixes, and generally get washed at 40, the occasional 60.
This seems to be enough to get rid of any visible stain, and when I bring them in from the line they don't smell particularly. But I get a whiff of bo smell when I iron them although it seems to dissipate when they cool down and are hung up
What can I do about this - am a bit paranoid because I think when I'm wearing them my heat 'reactivates' the smell quicker than a brand new blouse - so I think they're not washing out properly.
I haven't done 90 degree washes because a few are coloured or stripy and worried about ruining them.
Any tips - thanks?

vvviola Mon 25-May-15 20:18:38

I can't help but I'm watching for those who can - I'm on the verge of throwing out a favourite work dress for exactly this reason.

gamerchick Mon 25-May-15 20:20:41

I put Epsom salts in with the wash. They aren't cheap but it works.

Madbengalmum Mon 25-May-15 20:20:45

I have used dettol laundry cleanser on DH's work shirts and it works at treat at getting rid of the bacteria in the fabric that cause the smell.
I find it useful also for sports clothing and baby/ pet uses.

Madbengalmum Mon 25-May-15 20:21:49

You only need to wash on a 40 degree wash and it works.

dementedpixie Mon 25-May-15 21:21:56

zoflora in the fabric softener bit of the machine helps too (when washing the clothes)

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 25-May-15 21:28:43

Or bicarb of soda...

Gunpowder Mon 25-May-15 21:30:04

DM's tried and tested method is to 'Strip wash' them at 40 with no washing powder or softener, just a cupful of white vinegar (or the dettol stuff, but vinegar cheaper). If you can iron them, steam the armpits.

Didn't know about Epsom salts. Might try that next time.

blondegirl73 Mon 25-May-15 21:30:19

Another vote for Dettol. I can wash husband's v stinky cycling gear at 30 and it comes out smelling lovely.

SisterNancySinatra Mon 25-May-15 21:31:12

Or soak them first in water and sterilising tablets .

DustBunnyFarmer Mon 25-May-15 21:32:37

Are you using washing liquid instead of powder? We were getting whiffy shirts & I read somewhere that liquids don't contain bleaches so can cause this. We switched back to powder (Persil Bio Colour) and it seems to have sorted it.

hugoagogo Mon 25-May-15 21:37:45

I use sports wash (asda or tesco own brand) in the prewash and wash at 40°, it works a treat on teenage boy fusty sheets too.

Madbengalmum Mon 25-May-15 21:39:36

Yes, i used to use sports wash, but now use dettol as it seems to do a better job, and is cheaper. It is always on offer, v good product though.

nuttybananas Mon 25-May-15 21:39:54

Thanks all - use powder tablets so no liquid issue - hated the stuff when I tried it - felt like it left residue over clothes!
I've got some zoflora so will give that a try on the next laundry load, but will add the Dettol cleanser to my shopping list for the next big shop.

Katisha Mon 25-May-15 21:40:29

Napisan in the wash. Sorts it.

Madbengalmum Mon 25-May-15 21:41:56

Tried napisan as well, but expensive, and dettol works as well

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 25-May-15 21:43:26

I use tea tree oil and soda crystals in every wash, it works on our stinky stuff.

chippednailvarnish Mon 25-May-15 21:46:58

Yep, napisan is what I use on DH's sports kits and it works.

Stillyummy Mon 25-May-15 21:48:50

Napisan and detol have saved me from binning a lot of gym kits.

CluelessNewbie1 Mon 25-May-15 21:51:26

I stopped using fabric softner and found this stopped. I was told that fabric softner traps smells in clothes... Not sure if its true but it seems to have worked.

Sgtmajormummy Mon 25-May-15 21:55:08

Dab the area with vodka on a cotton wool ball! Heard about that for dry clean only jackets when it would take too long to get them cleaned. The alcohol kills the bacteria, then evaporates and doesn't leave a smell.
I think most people would rather drink it than clean with it, though! grin

Fishandjam Mon 25-May-15 21:57:04

Another vote for Napisan!

e1y1 Tue 26-May-15 06:14:11

Dust bunny - Persil bio powder will still not contain bleach as it's a powder designed for colours, but if it's working, then great. But your advice is correct, in general, liquids don't perform as well as powders.

Yy to vinegar/bicarb, both of these have excellent deodorising properties. Also Napisan and detol will work. But IIRC the bleach content in Napisan is high, so colours may fade quicker.

e1y1 Tue 26-May-15 06:16:08

Sorry , Persil *colour not bio

TheEggityOddity Tue 26-May-15 06:20:37

Another vote for vinegar for removing smells and yes Napisan is the one that always works on shirts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now