Ants in kitchen

(6 Posts)
sksk Sat 23-May-15 07:27:28

I have been finding ants on my counters recently. Is it the weather or could they be coming from somewhere else? It has been going on for a few days. I don't think I have left anything sugary out for them! Any suggestions on how to manage this?( I have had to move plenty of things into the counters over the past several months due to my toddler rummaging through the cupboards. )

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sat 23-May-15 07:41:24

There are masses of ants around already, they've even made a nest in one of my Bay trees, not sure what to do about that. In the house I've used similar v to this type of thing and it worked Link

doublepotions Sat 23-May-15 07:44:13

You can buy ant traps from wilko, they work a treat.

sksk Sat 23-May-15 15:58:18

Thanks.
Are the wilko traps toxic? I have a toddler so don't want to leave anything dangerous around for him. I've read vinegar and cinnamon are deterrents?

HarvestMoon9 Sun 24-May-15 14:33:32

The best ant poison that I have found is a mixture of icing sugar and bicarbonate of soda. Not toxic to inquisitive toddlers, but it is really effective to ants - they carry it back to their nest and it kills the nest as they can't tolerate the bicarb (but are attracted to the sugar). I go for a 50:50 mix (say tbsp of each) and then put a little pile of it near the nest or near where they are getting in. Good luck!

sksk Sun 24-May-15 17:44:20

Thank you.
I poured some vinegar near the possible entry points outside and gave the kitchen surfaces a deep clean with a mixture of detail/fairy/vinegar/water. It helped so let us see what tomorrow holds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now