Dyson, or something else? Tell me what to buy!

(20 Posts)
Anjou Fri 22-May-15 18:25:29

I bought a Vax a couple of years ago. It couldn't be more shit. Really. It's bloody awful! I actually have to brush the carpets with an old hairbrush before vacuuming. 

I've decided to get a Dyson, as I've heard nothing but good things about them. I've got long hair and lots of it, plus a cat. Therefore it would need to be able to deal with that.

The Dyson DC Animal is on offer at around £220 at the moment. Has anyone got this one? Is it good? Is there a better one I should go for? Should I go for something other than a Dyson? I'm willing to pay up to around £450 max, but less would be better. 

Tell me about your vaccuum cleaners!

Bobian123 Fri 22-May-15 22:19:42

I'm about to post a Vacuum question myself but thought I'd see if you'd looked at the Miele cat and dog? Superb reviews and seems to come out better than Dyson. I think I've settled on a Miele but now need to work out what model...so I'm off to ask the question!

Hillijx Fri 22-May-15 22:52:14

Just commented on the Miele question.....I had a dyson cat and dog and didn't rate it, I now have a Miele cat and dog and I love it. I am converted and will probably not buy a dyson again but I think I'm alone in that as everyone I talk to loves theirs......still think my Miele is better though!! I have 2 long haired cats with fine hair so it is hard to get up but it manages it, it's 4 years old and is still tickety boo (it will break tomorrow now won't it!)

Anjou Fri 22-May-15 22:56:14

Argh! I've just spent the last 30 minutes googling reviews and prices for the Dyson Animal and the Meile Cat & Dog - there are so many models!! I'm glad you posted. I think you've swayed me to the Meile. Easier to store away and much bigger capacity. Disposable bags are a bonus over cleaning out the cylinder too.

Thanks for the heads up! smile I'm off to find out where it's currently cheapest. Good luck choosing!

Stinkersmum Fri 22-May-15 23:00:11

Miele all the way!

4miscarriageslater Fri 22-May-15 23:04:10

Ours is another German brand called SEBO. Very good. Our old Dyson was shit. All dress and no knickers. We have two cats and three very mucky children and it copes v well. Quite light to carry out around too.

ChablisLover Fri 22-May-15 23:06:26

Henry - my dyson was woeful

Also had a handheld one for crumbs etc - replaced with a g-tech and so much better

Heard good reports on meile and sebo machines too

Anjou Fri 22-May-15 23:08:03

Ah, the Sebo looks good but I've just reserved the Meile at Currys. £239.95, plus you get £30 cash back. Woohoo! Can't wait to kick my stupid Vax all the way to the skip. grin

Follyfoot Fri 22-May-15 23:09:13

Sebo, I always post on threads saying how wonderful it is.

Koalafications Fri 22-May-15 23:11:37

We have a Vax that is brilliant, much better than the Henry we had before. But if you've had a bad experience with one before you might not want to buy another one.

Bobian123 Sat 23-May-15 07:05:51

OP, it's a sad thing but I'm jealous! Hope it's as good as they say!

goshhhhhh Sat 23-May-15 07:10:00

We have a Dyson. Used to have a miele. I was swayed to buy a Dyson & wished I'd stayed with a miele.

Maisycat Sat 23-May-15 07:14:38

We got a Miele last year (basic cat and dog) I would never go back now! Not a cat hair in sight from the long haired monster after vacuuming now. Carpets seem to be a shade lighter too after the first vacuuming - I had been using a Dyson.

mysteryfairy Sat 23-May-15 09:56:23

We got a Sebo after prompting on here. Seems fine to me, but my experience is not extensive as had my Dyson for 15 years previously. My cleaner uses loads of people's vacuums and is really impressed with the Sebo.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 23-May-15 23:09:01

Miele cat and dog rates highest in the Which best buys and I'm waiting for my dyson to break so I can justify one, but worried about the cost of bags (varying prices for genuine and copy bags). I need to empty our bagless dyson at least twice a week (labrador owner), how long do the bags last for/cost?

DoodlePegs Sat 23-May-15 23:21:48

Just switched to a Sebo x4 after our dyson died. Great so far, really picks up the dog hair.

Re: Bags
I used to have to empty the dyson twice a week. Had the Sebo 2 weeks now and the bag is still not full. Absolutely no idea how that works! Must be a tardis bag.

CointreauVersial Sat 23-May-15 23:46:33

Miele.

Although ours did go wrong within a few months - it was all fixed under warranty and has been fine ever since.

rabbit123 Sun 24-May-15 11:00:10

Re: bags.
The dirt in a Dyson spins round at high speed in cyclone. In a bag, the dirt is forced and compressed into the bag, so they last MUCH longer than bagless vacs

Stinkersmum Sun 24-May-15 12:01:44

I don't think I changed a bag on my miele more than once a month. You can buy packs of 16 genuine bags from miele for £30.

Hillijx Sun 24-May-15 22:38:43

2 cats, 3 children and my bag lasts a couple of months before losing any suction. I buy genuine ones from Amazon and don't cost much, beats getting a faceful of dust every time you empty the dyson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now