My washing machine stinks

(16 Posts)
EggsAreNotFromCows Sun 17-May-15 20:37:34

I have done a rinse with white vinegar, a 95 cotton cycle with just bio powder, poked around in the drain, scrubbed the drawer and wiped out the door seals with bleach.

It still smells musty. What am I missing?

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 17-May-15 20:43:29

How much vinegar did you use? It's likely to be limescale that's attracted a build up of gunk. You need a lot to shift it. Soda crystals in a boil wash may help, or (a lot) more vinegar.

EggsAreNotFromCows Sun 17-May-15 20:45:55

About a mug full? And only on a rinse cycle. Do I need more / in a longer wash?

And where do you buy a lot of it (I only have sarsons distiller which seems a bit of a waste)

Thanks smile

Lunastarfish Sun 17-May-15 20:45:55

I put the machine on an empty loaf, hottest wash with zoflora

EggsAreNotFromCows Sun 17-May-15 20:47:28

What's zoflora?

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 17-May-15 20:53:41

I get vinegar for cleaning here.

You could also try citric acid powder which is a stronger de-limescaler?

Lunastarfish Sun 17-May-15 21:23:26

Zoflora is an old school.disinfectant. you'll find it with the cleaning products in a flowry box

DuchessFanny Sun 17-May-15 21:31:56

Have you cleaned the filter ? When ours gets left for ages a bit gunky it reeks !

sleeplessbunny Sun 17-May-15 21:36:23

Hot wash with vinegar instead of detergent. DM had this with her washing machine, turned out to be tonnes of limescale. Took a few hot washes with descalers to get rid of it. Keep checking the filter as it filled up with rocks of limescale.

EggsAreNotFromCows Sun 17-May-15 23:07:08

Right, will clean filter tomorrow and repeat the hot wash with some more vinegar!

cakeybakeymakey Sun 24-May-15 23:45:27

Another alternative is to pour a can of full fat coca cola (not pepsi) into your detergent drawer and run it on a 60 degree cycle. It does work and will clean out your filter at the same time. You may have to do it twice.

I do this with my dishwasher as well, but add a scoop of Vanish Gold as well. Results were so stunning that I will never spend money on the dishwasher cleaners again!

WeAllHaveWings Mon 25-May-15 20:53:32

I did 3 hottest washes with a good 3-4 cups of soda crystals each time before the smell cleared.

Also cleaned out filter, drawer, rubber nooks and crannies first.

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 25-May-15 21:38:13

Where would I find the filter on a washing machine? blush

Madbengalmum Mon 25-May-15 21:42:56

Usually at the base of machine, you will find a hatch

WeAllHaveWings Mon 25-May-15 22:17:41

Have a container/towels ready before you open filter as they can hold a fair amount of water!

There is usually a drain tube to drain most but not all out before opening fully.

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 25-May-15 22:22:02

Thanks.

I think our machine could do with a bit of TLC!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now