Is there ANYTHING that will clean my toilet?

(21 Posts)
Schnitzel Sun 10-May-15 19:09:22

I live in a rented flat with a toilet that has stains in the toilet pan (under the water level) that will NOT shift despite trying virtually everything. It really bothers me.

Does anyone have any cleaning tips that I could try?

Thanks!

babyfedleaning Sun 10-May-15 19:10:46

Bar keepers friend? you might have to bucket out some of the water first though.

gamerchick Sun 10-May-15 19:11:14

What kind of stains though.. Is it an ancient toilet?

theendoftheendoftheend Sun 10-May-15 19:11:17

Unfortunately the only way I know of sorting that is by sticking your arm in and scrubbing it with a pumice stone. Bit yuck but does the job

gamerchick Sun 10-May-15 19:15:13

Get some decent limescale remover.. Push a brush under the ubend until you lower the water line and smother the stain just before bed. Scrub in the morning and repeat until it's gone. It'll take a few goes but it'll go.
A couple of denture tablets down the pan regularly before bed will stop it coming back with regular cleaning.

Eatsleepwork Sun 10-May-15 19:39:42

Cillit bang toilet cleaner.
Honestly, it gets rid of almost anything and takes little or no scrubbing (believe me, after a year of having three builders in my house I know it works!)
It can be tricky to find but I normally get it in wilkossmile

Singleandproud Sun 10-May-15 19:41:38

Try a bottle of coke cheap and might just do the trick if you leave it in overnight.

Monica101 Sun 10-May-15 19:43:40

Have you sponged all the water out first. Then filled with lime scale remover and left over night then scrubbed?

What is the stain like confused?

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 10-May-15 19:44:58

There's a black bottle of either Harpic or Toilet Duck that's pretty vicious. Needs to be left for a while and may take a couple of goes.

Poosnu Sun 10-May-15 19:45:14

Bottle of coke left in for hours.

Hottypotty Sun 10-May-15 19:46:23

I eventually sorted mine with s mixture of denture tablets and cilit bang.

HolgerDanske Sun 10-May-15 19:48:31

You have to scrub it. Any of the limescale removers will work. I've also used the LIDL washing maching cleaning tablets one time when I couldn't find any of the 'proper' toilet ones and they worked very well.

Leave in overnight, in the morning scrub for as long as your arms can take.

Repeat every night until it's all cleared.

avocadotoast Sun 10-May-15 19:57:10

Cheap coke.

Have you shoved your hand down there to scrub it? It's gross but when I was a student that's the only thing that got our loo clean. (My dad did it, bless him... Only time I've ever seen him clean a toilet!)

Schnitzel Sun 10-May-15 20:10:27

Some great ideas there. Will try them. The stains are lime scale (I think) and it's an old toilet. Thank you!

Mcnorton Sun 10-May-15 20:11:04

I used Harpic Power Plus tablets. Recommended dose one tablet a week. I used two a night for about 10 days, plus I left limescale remover down there any other times i could. It worked in the end!

NotCitrus Sun 10-May-15 20:11:45

Definitely scoop most of the water out first, then attacked overnight. I scrub mine with the disposable chopsticks that come with a takeaway.
Problem is that within a week it's furred up again and then stained within another.

BigSmilesCheesyPie Sun 10-May-15 20:34:16

Don't scoop the water out though, send it over the U bend instead (sort of whoosh at it with a loo brush, or failing that a marigold clad hand) this lowers the water line sufficiently.

PigletJohn Sun 10-May-15 20:48:31

the Harpic tablets in the black box are very good under the waterline.

Also the Harpic White & Shine Bleach with Baking Soda seems to work (in time) where acids have failed. It might be that, being white, it does not add a coloured stain that makes marks more visible.

Denture tablets are good for stains but I don't think they remove limescale.

Once you have got it acceptably clean, use Parazone Bleach Blocks in the cistern. You won't believe this, so take a photo inside the cistern the day you add the first one, and again every month or so when you drop in a new one. You will find the scale breaks up, falls off and dissolves. It is the only treatment I know that cleans the waterways and holes under the rim. Add a new tablet when the foam stops when flushing.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-May-15 21:29:53

I use an old sponge to get the water out then I tip a bottle of smart price vinegar down and leave it overnight.

Limescales gone after a quick scrub with the loo brush then.

Schnitzel Sun 10-May-15 22:47:20

More excellent tips. Thanks.

Davros Sun 10-May-15 23:40:20

Agree. Following previous MN threads I baled out the water, filled up with white vinegar, left overnight and scrubbed with loo brush. Excellent result

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now