Talk

Advanced search

What knives do I need?

(7 Posts)
TeddyBear5 Sat 09-May-15 10:49:28

We were given a knife block set when we set up home 12 years ago. Slowly they have dwindled (putting them in dishwasher has not been good for the handles) and I have now only three. A bread knife, a meat carving knife and a small knife for vegetables.

What are the other ones called? I've just looked online and don't know what I need. For information, we don't eat fish, only meat and I need one to dice chicken etc. I need one to open packets(!), cheese (I'm guessing that's a cheese knife). I don't know what else, but I know 3 isn't enough.

Any knife information to a woman who knows nowt about knives is gratefully received!

mrsmeerkat Sat 09-May-15 10:55:25

I'm no expert but I would invest in a good kitchen scissors for opening packets etc and a good little small Sharp knife

Also we have brazillian steak knives that are the business

I recently bought the habitat set from argos for our new house and they look great.

Madamecastafiore Sat 09-May-15 10:58:39

Go to TK Maxx to buy them. Great value.

I got veg one, bread one, carving one, big choppy wide one and long choppy one for about £40.

Hang them on magnetic strip, safer, cleaner and eater.

TheSpottedZebra Sat 09-May-15 11:00:35

It depends on what you cook, and personal preference I guess. I use a chef's knife for about 90% of tasks. It's probably about 15cm long on the blade. I bought one to suit me - I picked loads up first to make sure it was comfy - and i keep it sharp. And hand wash it. My partner also has 'his knife' that he uses for most things. Those, a bread knife, and a couple of small knives do us for most things. I do like to have a small serrated knife too. And a pair of kitchen scissors.

But most of us are veggie so filleting and carving are not really relevant. I think we have a cleaver/Chinese knife bought for a fleeting enthusiasm for Chinese old, but it's never used.

Fedupnagging Sat 09-May-15 11:22:47

I have about 6 knives not including a couple of cheese knives and use mosly the chefs knife and a paring knife. (Sabatier and TK maxx)

My problem is that they go blunt quickly so have stopped putting them in the dishwasher and keep in a knife block but really ought to replace them.

Does anyone have a good knife sharpener they could recommend? Don't think mine is very good.

TeddyBear5 Sat 09-May-15 11:23:20

That is I'll take a look in Argos and Tk Maxx , sounds like I should just get another knife block with a variety in. I love the look of a magnetic strip but for various reasons we can't have one. I was trying save money and just replace the single ones we've lost but actually the whole sets look quite good value.

VodkaValiumLattePlease Tue 12-May-15 12:44:03

Kitchen Devils 5 knife block, £25 from Morrisons. I cook all my food from scratch and that's all I've ever needed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now