Where do you keep your bread?

(15 Posts)
snowgirl1 Sun 03-May-15 22:03:51

We don't have a bread bin (and I don't particularly want one as they take up too much worktop space) and our unsliced bread just gets stuffed in a cupboard to shed crumbs everywhere.

Does anyone have any good storage ideas? Only don't suggest the fridge as that makes bread go stale more quickly smile

In a plastic basket in a cupboard, not a woven type basket, but one of those stacking ones with holes in. We do get some crumb spillage, but it does contain it all in one place (we often have a loaf, some rolls, pitta bread, wraps all in there). Agree with definitely not using the fridge.

RainbowCake Sun 03-May-15 22:24:22

We keep ours in the microwave. I know it sounds daft but we have a tiny kitchen and hardly use the microwave, we could get rid and get a bread bin but then how would we make popcorn.

Seriouslyffs Sun 03-May-15 22:29:46

^^ same as Rainbow
It's air tight (I hope) and bread rarely lasts here for more than a couple of days anyway.

measles64 Sun 03-May-15 22:42:05

In a lovely Nigella Lawson bread bin. It holds, a loaf, muffins and wraps the top doubles as a cutting board, which I admit I do not use because we have a lovely Ikea one. www.nigella.com/products/classic/bread-bin-45

calzone Sun 03-May-15 22:49:09

In the freezer.

We hardly eat any bread in our house so just take it out as I need it.

Rattitude Sun 03-May-15 22:53:41

In the fridge! grin

Only have it toasted so it is not an issue. When I felt bread out on my worktop, it used to go mouldy fairly rapidly. Since storing it in the fridge, I have not thrown any bread away.

mysteryfairy Mon 04-May-15 07:06:40

I have a wesco grandy breadbbin. It takes up worktop space but at least it does so in an attractive way.

FirstOfficerDouglasRichardson Mon 04-May-15 12:07:51

We keep ours in the microwave too. It's very effective at keeping it fresh just don't put it straight in after microwaving something smelly.

SnotQueen Mon 04-May-15 12:10:00

Large lock and lock box in cupboard.
Keeps it fresh.

PigeonPie Mon 04-May-15 12:11:57

Also in a large Lock and Lock box in the cupboard! (can get two bread machine loaves in that box)

SilverBirch2015 Mon 04-May-15 12:11:57

We store ours in the fridge, keeps fresher for so much longer.

SwedishEdith Mon 04-May-15 12:12:12

Ours is in a drawer

HelenF350 Mon 04-May-15 12:17:35

Freezer, saves waste.

snowgirl1 Mon 04-May-15 12:21:54

Thank you for all the ideas! Loving the idea of hiding keeping it in the microwave, that's quite ingenious! But the escaping crumbs might drive me mad. Will have to look into where I could fit a lock box or stacking basket.

To those saying the fridge, it may stop mould but keeping bread in the fridge it does make bread go staler more quickly. I can't remember the exact reason, but it's something to do with the cooler temperature allowing some crystals, which make bread go stale, to form more easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now