Talk

Advanced search

DH Spilled a 2 Litre Bottle of Thai Fish sauce

(19 Posts)
RubyFlint Mon 23-Mar-15 23:35:33

Tonight DH was cooking himself a lovely stir fry and he dropped and smashed a full 2 litre bottle of Thai fish sauce. It was everywhere! It then started to leak under the door into the dining room and along the edges of the laminate floor. It stinks and I think maybe it's gone under the floor. I have bleached, mopped and covered the areas in bicarb.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can do to get rid of the smell please, other than move house?

anothernamechange1234 Mon 23-Mar-15 23:40:19

TWO LITRES?! I've never even seen a bottle of fish sauce that big!

No ideas but my sympathies.

MishMooshAndMogwai Mon 23-Mar-15 23:42:35

Genuinely had no idea fish sauce could be bought in 2 litre bottles! How much do you use?! We have a piddly little bottle and its still 3/4 full after sitting there for months!

Absolutely nothing helpful too add apart from maybe move house? And LTB!

TheWintersmith Mon 23-Mar-15 23:43:03

I dropped some in a new car on a hot bank holiday <boak>

Move house. The smell will never go.

Sorry

PoisonPension Mon 23-Mar-15 23:44:55

I dropped a normal sized bottle once. My goodness it was bad and took a while for the smell to go.

RubyFlint Mon 23-Mar-15 23:45:06

Ha ha Yes he recently took a little visit to the chinese supermarket and came back with oversized fish sauce and soy sauce. It'll last ages apparently!!

anothernamechange1234 Mon 23-Mar-15 23:50:37

Well it won't now it's all over your floor.

Must have been a heavy bugger too

Thetruthshallmakeyefret Mon 23-Mar-15 23:51:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MishMooshAndMogwai Mon 23-Mar-15 23:52:21

That is exactly something my DP would do, including the dropping!

Id move out and leave him there

RubyFlint Mon 23-Mar-15 23:57:21

Yes another and it fell from one of the top cupboards, so plenty of height. He reckons he broke it's fall with his foot. And it was in a glass bottle so there was tiny shards of glass everywhere too. FFS it's going to honk forever isn't it.

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 24-Mar-15 00:00:00

Er, why have you bleached, mopped, and covered the area in bicarb? Why wasn't dh doing all that stuff, esp as he was stirfrying for himself? Is DH online seeking cleaning tips? hmm

Sorry, bit grumpy, but that just sounds unfair.

RubyFlint Tue 24-Mar-15 00:02:14

Good idea Mish, tho he reckons he can hardly smell it now. He lies.

RubyFlint Tue 24-Mar-15 00:06:36

Not as bad as it sounds, he was working late so cooked for himself when he got in. I went from supervising the clean up to taking over. As you do..

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 24-Mar-15 00:15:24

Well, I'd certainly help, but I would neither supervise nor take over. But that's not what your thread is about, so I'll back off/out now. Sorry for the derail, hope you find a solution. flowers PS a swift google suggests that a paste of bleach and soda bic is good on contaminated grout, what kind of flooring got the worst?

RubyFlint Tue 24-Mar-15 00:25:13

Kitchen tiles and dining room laminate were about the same tbh. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it tomorrow for the grout. Off to bed now so I'll see how it is in the morning! Thanks again .

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 24-Mar-15 00:48:01

I actually googled bleach and soda bic because I was worried about noxious fumes. blush But it seems it can be helpful. Best of luck.

PinkyAndTheBump Tue 24-Mar-15 04:33:27

A bowl of chopped onions is meant to be good for soaking up smells. Might be more for bio smells as its meant to grab the bacteria.

Flingmoo Thu 26-Mar-15 16:52:09

Just came to say you had me at the thread title but now I've read everyone's posts I'm PMSL!

GregMac Mon 09-Jan-17 13:53:14

I just signed up to pass on my thoughts after having spilled a bottle of fish sauce, reading the comments here, and thinking the very worst. Take heart: I got rid of the smell and it wasn't that difficult.

I soaked up all the excess oil with kitchen roll, then liberally sprinkled bicarbonate of soda over the whole area, paying particular attention to exposed concrete, grouting in between the tiles, and under the wooden kick board where it might have soaked in.

I left the soda down overnight and then poured quite a lot of lime juice (I didn't have lemon) over the affected area. It fizzes and looks pretty cool. I then mopped it all up and rinsed the tiles down with damp kitchen roll before spraying the area with Neutradol air freshener, which you can get at the supermarket.

After that, the smell was completely, 100% gone.

Nearly a half bottle of oil was spilled and the smell was completely overpowering for the two days between mopping up the oil and putting down the bicarbonate and lime juice, but it wasn't half as hard to shift as most of these posters make out.

Yours in fragrance,
Greg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now