Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine softener compartment keeps filling up with water

(10 Posts)
WellTidy Mon 16-Feb-15 15:54:59

After every cycle, the softener compartment of the drawer in my washing machine is completely full up with water. I have to pull it out ever so gently to tip the water down the sink.

Why is it doing this? I do use softener in every wash (I have to, I hate the feeling of the clothes without it as our area has incredibly hard water), and I have washed the drawer out.

I use liquid washing tablets in the drum if that makes any difference.

The machine is a 4 year old Miele which is wonderful in every other way. Used 5-7 times a week.

dannydyerismydad Mon 16-Feb-15 16:07:48

Following. My Miele has developed this habit on and off.

wowfudge Mon 16-Feb-15 16:32:58

With our machine it's usually a sign the drawer needs cleaning.

VeronicaCaCa Mon 16-Feb-15 16:39:11

Same as wowfudge.

dementedpixie Mon 16-Feb-15 16:41:24

clean the drawer and also clean the bit the drawer fits into. The roof of that bit can end up black and mouldy. I use bleach spray and an old toothbrush to clean out the wee holes on the roof

Fizrim Mon 16-Feb-15 17:41:27

What dementedpixie said - I've had to get my DH to take the machine top off to clean it out, try cleaning the drawer really well first and giving the bit above it a good scrub with a toothbrush as pixie said.

tribpot Mon 16-Feb-15 17:54:43

My Miele does this too BUT it's also sporadic. Will give it a good clean but what would make it happen only sometimes, I wonder?

WellTidy Tue 17-Feb-15 10:37:17

Thanks for the replies. I had already washed the drawer out, but I will take a toothbrush to the roof and back of where the drawer slides into. And then give it a go. I will report back tomorrow!

rabbit123 Tue 17-Feb-15 11:06:02

Your washing machine is unbalanced and learning slightly forward so the water is building up at the front of the drawer and isn't syphoning out. You'll need to adjust the front feet of the machine to make sure it's level

gallicgirl Tue 17-Feb-15 12:21:52

Try descaling the washer too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: