Talk

Advanced search

Water softening advice

(7 Posts)
doopdoop Tue 10-Feb-15 18:29:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PigletJohn Tue 10-Feb-15 21:48:28

Half price my asre.

Keep away from doorsteppers and people who advertise in the Sunday papers.

Look in yellow pages or similar for a local Water Softener company. There is sure to be one in or near your town. Most likely they will sell, install, guarantee maintain and assemble softeners, and will also deliver salt. When you ring one, your first question should be "do you repair water softeners?" (they may only service their own). If no, try another company. The mechanism is very simple and uses industry-standard parts.

If you are fond of plumbing, you can install it yourself, it is about as easy as doing the pipework for a washing machine. Otherwise the local company will have a price, or a plumber can do it.

You can also buy a cheap one in a DIY shed, and throw it away when it goes wrong.

A softener is very heavy when full of salt and water. Put it where you can easily carry sacks of salt and tip them in. It must not be near your car or tools as the slightest speck of salt will rust them. Have salt delivered, don't carry it in your own car. When you look at the delivery van you will be shocked to see the floor is covered in rust.

PigletJohn Tue 10-Feb-15 22:54:01

p.s.

I had a look at the EWT website, and the prices they show vary up and down from about £1500, which is very expensive, considering they're made of industry-standard parts and materials.

If that is truly 50% off the "list" price then the list price was ludicrous, unless they are inlaid with gold and encrusted with diamonds.

PigletJohn Tue 10-Feb-15 22:58:11

p.s.

I just searched for their Company Name and Registered Address, which I can't find on the website. Is it on that flyer you got through your door?

PigletJohn Tue 10-Feb-15 23:08:53

Oh, I found the company name and address now, in this upheld complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority (Misleading advertising, Substantiation and Exaggeration).

springalong Tue 10-Feb-15 23:29:32

I live in kent and used this company 18 years ago. I have no connection with them apart from being a satisfied customer. They have been in business for many years.

www.softwaterservices.co.uk

PigletJohn Tue 10-Feb-15 23:37:32

It does seem to be this company which was incorporated in 2013

And may or may not have any connection with the companies of similar names dissolved in 2013 or 2008

It's been interesting looking into this, so thank you for bringing up this company for us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: