Advanced search

Wood table with white marks - how to treat/ prevent

(10 Posts)
Moanranger Fri 30-Jan-15 23:45:41

I bought v nice 2nd hand Danish modern type wood table at local charity shop. It was perfectly unmarked. Now that it is in use, it is very easily marked with white areas & rings. For now I have put a tablecloth on it. I researched the problem, which says to gently rub out white areas & the re-surface with a furniture paste type treatment, not oil. Does anybody have suggestions type of wax or paste?
plan to work on it this weekend.

bohoec Fri 30-Jan-15 23:57:57

I have successfully removed wet rings from mugs etc from my tables by putting a tea towel over the stain and ironing the table. Yes, really!

Moanranger Sat 31-Jan-15 07:14:55

bohoec With a dry iron?

wobblebobblehat Sat 31-Jan-15 10:46:21

I have the same problem!

Can anyone confirm the iron technique? Feel a bit nervous trying that...

bohoec Sat 31-Jan-15 14:07:22

No, a steam iron and a thick tea towel (like a terry towelling one, rather than a woven cotton one, iykwim).

I was really nervous when I did it too. My mother's friend suggested it. Do a test patch in the corner first maybe? Or on a cheap table? Mine are just ordinary wooden trestle tables, and it was various rings from people not using coasters.

I really hope it works for you - I'm nervous now. I promise my tables were fine though and the rings lifted out.

Sark Sat 31-Jan-15 14:59:47

OP wooblebobblehathave you been successful? I have been trying various things but my mark is about a year old and no luck so far with various shop bought reccomendations

Moanranger Sat 31-Jan-15 20:00:20

I tried this, but no luck. Used dry iron, though. Be interested in anyone's feedback. I have now decided to sand down & refinish with a matt polyurethane "wax" ( not really a wax, but that's what it's called.) when I bought it, about two weeks ago, it look d pristine, then suddenly wat r marks & rings appeared, which I now think are old, & I think it had been polished before sale with something that masked these marks. Oh, well. At least now it will look good.when done, that is! Elbow grease!

wowfudge Sun 01-Feb-15 00:30:00

If you are thinking of going to that trouble, you might as well try using a steam iron. If it works great, if it doesn't then sand it and varnish/treat. You'll save yourself a stack of work and cost of materials.

shovetheholly Mon 02-Feb-15 13:58:15

There is a much simpler way! Just spend a couple of quid on a Guardsman Ring Remover Cloth from Lakeland. You just rub the white areas, and they go away. Takes a couple of goes and a bit of time (it'll fade gradually over a couple of days).

I had a really, really bad ring on a bedside table - it was bright, bright white! Not only did the cloth totally get rid of it, but it left the surface really smooth and shiny. I have no idea what's in it, but it works a treat.

shovetheholly Mon 02-Feb-15 13:58:46

Oh, and your table sounds lovely by the way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now