Advanced search

getting a shine back on my bamboo floor

(6 Posts)
sacbina Mon 26-Jan-15 17:46:08

post building work I've taken the protective flooring off and there are a few spots where dust and bits got underneath and have dulled the surface

anything I can use to bring back it's shine without making it slippery??

sacbina Tue 27-Jan-15 12:05:27

shovetheholly Tue 27-Jan-15 13:28:48

Is the floor just a bit dirty or is it actually scratched? If scratched, how deeply? What finish do you have on the floor?

sacbina Tue 27-Jan-15 20:53:46

the finish was as it came from supplier many years ago. it had a slight shine. it's almost as if fine grit and dirt got under the protective layer and over the last 3 months it has been rubbing underneath.

haven't had a really good clean of it as I don't want to do any damage. it's only ever been cleaned with water or floor wipes

PigletJohn Tue 27-Jan-15 21:13:57

I think it is usually factory treated with a hard lacquer, probably a two-pack polyurethane.

You could try Diamond floor varnish, but the patches will probably show unless you sand the whole floor. I've never tried sanding bamboo but it might be fibrous.

If you contact an importer or major brand, they may have advice.

shovetheholly Wed 28-Jan-15 10:02:20

It sounds like it's quite superficial damage, in which case I would try a few wood restorative products before you go down the road of sanding, which will require you to do the whole floor and hence be a bit of a pita!

A bit of google research might yield more options. I found this product, for instance, which is urethane based:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now