Talk

Advanced search

Which food processor?

(10 Posts)
UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 25-Jan-15 13:26:01

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but can anyone advise me on a food processor? My current one is ancient and giving up the ghost. I also have a Kenwood Mixer (think it's called a Titanium? It's very big!) which came with a food processor attachment, but whilst the mixer is great the food processor isn't, and is too small, so can't be used as a replacement for my ancient processor.

I can afford up to £300, thanks to a generous cheque from the inlaws for Christmas, and was wondering about the Magimix 5200 XL. Has anyone got one of these and are they worth the money? I wouldn't need it for cakemaking as I have the Kenwood, so it would be used primarily for chopping and pureeing. I make a lot of soup and sauces. Also, it would be living in a base cupboard - is it too heavy to keep lifting in and out?

Any advice gratefully received.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 25-Jan-15 19:59:50

Anyone?

shovetheholly Mon 26-Jan-15 09:44:32

I am in the same position (and second you on the food processor attachment - not nearly as good as some of the others). Have you investigated some of the separate attachments for the Kenwood machine? I have the metal blender (a lot better than the glass one), and a vegetable chopper, and a milling machine and between them, they do all of the things that I need a food processor to do.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Mon 26-Jan-15 17:35:45

Thanks, shove, I had wondered about the chopping thingy for my Kenwood but wasn't sure if it would produce soup in the way a food processor would.

I haven't actually bought any attachments for the Kenwood so I've just got the ones it came with. The liquidizer is brilliant but the food processor is just too small and flimsy.

Nanasueathome Mon 26-Jan-15 17:41:02

Have a look at kitchenaid
I bought a blender in the sale after Christmas from House of Fraser, they are also in John Lewis
Made the best soup ever, broccoli and celery, really smooth and with minimal effort and blending

mupperoon Mon 26-Jan-15 18:03:42

We had a look at the Magimix range but ended up getting a Cuisinart because it felt sturdier and less plasticky for the same money. Whatever you get, they're a faff to wash up!

Crumblevision Mon 26-Jan-15 18:06:24

I have got the Magimix (think it's the 5100), it is almost 12 years old. Itbhas been used reasonably frequently, I have had to replace the bowl once as the lid cracked (couldn't get lid on its own) but other than that, it has been great. The main blade is still extremely sharp. I would have another.

CosyDuvetBliss Mon 26-Jan-15 23:14:45

I have a Magimix and its fab.

shovetheholly Tue 27-Jan-15 09:14:42

You can get different choppy attachments I think - I am sure you would find one that would process things as you want for soup.

Have a look at the continuous slicer. The useful thing is that it hangs off the front of the machine and you can just keep going with it until your large bowl is full. It's awesome when you want to process tons of stuff for jam or chutney, or loads of onions for an onion tart. It has lots of different discs, much like a food processor.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Tue 27-Jan-15 21:26:11

Thanks for all the comments, I will definitely look into the attachments for the Kenwood.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: