Talk

Advanced search

Stair carpet...100% wool vs 80/20.

(8 Posts)
Trescosy Fri 23-Jan-15 20:02:01

Loop vs twist? Aaargh! Drowning! I would like a stripy carpet for my stairs and landing and found a nice 80/20 twist for £2k...an equally nice 100% wool loop comes in at £750...I like them both equally, actually, the cheaper is more attractive...Will they really wear that differently? Any experience? Our current carpet is 80/20 twist, cream and not bad 11 yrs in.

PigletJohn Fri 23-Jan-15 20:18:51

the people I know in the trade recommend 80/20

Trescosy Fri 23-Jan-15 20:22:18

I've always had 80/20 in my head from MIL...just worried with a stripe that we'll tire of it before we've had our money worth. Definite that it will be a stripe though.

ANewMein2015 Fri 23-Jan-15 20:24:12

Good lord 2k?! We're hoping to replace our living room carpet and I was hoping it wouldnt be anything like that much....

TittingAbout Fri 23-Jan-15 20:24:42

I bought a 100/ wool carpet 3 years ago and I wouldn't recommend it. It really hasn't lasted even though it has been well looked-after. Certain soles on slippers will cause 'bobbling' and you'll be picking up stray bits of wool off it forever. It also seems to absorb stains somehow.
I'd say go for a mix.

Trescosy Fri 23-Jan-15 20:37:50

Thank you. Was afraid that would be the answer! Sickening to pay more than double but it is what it is! The problem we have that there is a turn over 4 stairs so needs to be a thin stripe to subtly match...was really hoping for 'the cheaper one will be grand...' Pah!!!

PigletJohn Fri 23-Jan-15 21:15:22

you are using an independent local supplier, aren't you? Not a chain like Carpetwrong?

Trescosy Fri 23-Jan-15 21:56:25

Yes. PigletJohn. The expensive one is by Brintons from a small independent shop. The cheaper one is a guy on his own with samples who comes to you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: