Talk

Advanced search

Kondo tips and links thread (no chat here please) to accompany the Kondo chat threads

(12 Posts)
mipmop Fri 23-Jan-15 14:42:01

Here are the links provided by SteptoeAndDaughter from Kondo chat thread 6. Please add your own tips, links, photos or ideas to this thread (no general chat here please to keep it easy for people to find the key pieces of information.) Please use the chat threads (we're currently on thread 6) for general chat about your Kondo journey.

SteptoeAndDaughter Wed 21-Jan-15 11:59:34
The Book: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo, Cathy Hirano

Summary of the process

Article of top tips by Marie Kondo

Thread 6
Thread 5
Thread 4
Thread 3
Thread 2
Thread 1

And BeCool's copy of Coughles list of ORDER from Thread 2 for everyone:

"ORDER TO DECLUTTER/LOCATE THE JOY*

Clothes folding by rummy
Books
Papers
CDs
DVDs
Skincare products
Make-up
Accessories
Valuables (passports, credit cards, etc.)
Electrical equipment and appliances (digital cameras, electric cords, anything that seems vaguely ‘electric’)
Household equipment (stationery and writing materials, sewing kits, etc.)
Household supplies (expendables like medicine, detergents, tissues, etc.)
Kitchen goods/ food supplies
Other (If you have many items related to a particular interest or hobby, such as ski equipment, then treat these as a single subcategory.)

KonMari stresses that sentimental items should be left till the end. So for example, when you are doing papers, don't include photos of your children, love letters, old school reports etc, leave anything with a sentimental connection for later."

*As discussed in previous threads, your order for decluttering and finding the joy/spark/recognizing may be different to recommendations.

bringmejoy2015 Fri 23-Jan-15 15:03:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SteptoeAndDaughter Sat 24-Jan-15 09:34:24

I just have to say (mentioned somewhere in the other thread) that I didn't collate the links myself, simply reposted them from an earlier thread. I really can't take the credit for the post blush

As you were!

mipmop Sat 24-Jan-15 13:44:37

Steptoe the effort of collating the links is appreciated!

LinzerTorte Sat 24-Jan-15 18:13:09

Two apps that I've found useful when kondoing paperwork are Evernote and CamScanner.

Starface Sat 24-Jan-15 19:56:41

My top tip is to read the book. Although it's tempting not to invest, there is nothing quite like KonMaris style. I have referred back to it several times through the process and always found it helpful.

Other top tips I have gleaned:

Drawer dividers can be made with cardboard sellotaped to drawer insides. In addition to boxes the house finds you through the process. Others like ikea Skubb (?).

Ikea Trofast are v popular for toys.

BriarRainbowshimmer Mon 26-Jan-15 08:34:01

Good thread idea!

Momagain1 Tue 27-Jan-15 14:21:33

What I have gleaned from reading the threads: the very conscious thinking of the joy an item gives you reduces bad discard decisions made in a fit of over-enthusiasm for the process, or frustration at the time and effort.

Pausing to thank each discard probably 'sets' the memory that souvenirs are meant to preserve, better than just having the thing in a box would.

RandomFriend Tue 27-Jan-15 17:51:51

I have found a useful summary of how to go about it:

www.mindbodygreen.com/0-15733/10-ways-to-declutter-your-home-and-life.html

and this youtube link on folding and storing clothes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJAYRXjZoMY

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 29-Jan-15 12:30:56

Shoeboxes are good to be used as drawer dividers or for keeping 'bits' together. Or fruit/veg trays or egg boxes for small drawers and very small bits.

The Ikea Skubb drawer dividers are good for loads of things not just socks and undies etc.

I have two in the kitchen drawer for tea towels and sandwich bags etc. The narrow space left is perfect for cling film and aluminium foil.

FrancesFarmer Fri 30-Jan-15 20:03:35

AMA (Ask me anything) with Marie on Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2u7yet/i_am_marie_kondo_international_tidying_expert_and/

bringmejoy2015 Fri 30-Jan-15 20:08:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: