Talk

Advanced search

DIY elbow patches - Help?!?!

(5 Posts)
kaykayred Thu 22-Jan-15 09:37:39

Hi All,

I really hope there is someone with more sewing knowledge than me on here, as I really need some help.

My fiancé has a knitted wool jumper that he loves, but he is already wearing through the elbows. He has asked if I could add some elbow patches to the jumper - which I'm happy to do in theory but have little clue in practise.

Is it possible to sew suede by hand? I don't use a machine. Also, if any one has any advice or tips I would be forever grateful!

PS, Any ideas on how to prevent men from wearing holes in their elbows? My fiancé gets through a shirt every two weeks. Seriously. I have no idea what the hell he is doing.

calendula Thu 22-Jan-15 09:57:37

If you buy suede patches they should already have holes punched around the edge. You can sew them on by hand.

If Your DF is wearing through shirts and jumpers so fast, he may be better going up a clothes size. Shirts should last more than 2 weeks.

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 22-Jan-15 10:00:59

I used to wear through elbows when I worked in a call centre wearing a headset and realised it was because I sat with my elbows on the desk a lot of the time. I made an effort to put my forearms on the desk instead and it saved a lot of clothes!

Gatekeeper Thu 22-Jan-15 10:15:59

you can buy patches with the holes already punched through as calendula says; just make sure you buy washable ones

Alternatively you could make some patches out of an old pair of jeans/cords etc. Iron a small 'hem' all the way round and then blanket stitch or whip stitch it on the jumper . Google for stitching tutorials

Good Luck!

kaykayred Thu 22-Jan-15 10:22:24

Thank you! I'm not based in the UK, and finding the pre cut patches is a friggin' nightmare, so I will probably have to make them from scratch.

I will have a look out for some tutorials, thank you!! I originally wanted to go with leather, but then realised I wouldn't be able to wash the jumper properly, blerg. I'm trying to find some corduroy!

Calendula - fiancé is a super slim jim, and his shirts are quite loose on him. I think he must just unconsciously spend the whole day elbow dancing on his desk!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: