Talk

Advanced search

decent mattress for under a grand - way under preferably

(11 Posts)
mummymafia Tue 20-Jan-15 23:05:28

Any recommendations for a decent firm king size mattress for dh & myself please. DH is 6'2" & weighs about 15 1/2 stone & I'm 5'2" (almost!) & weigh just over 9 stone so anything vaguely soft is like a waterbed whenever dh rolls over in the night. Our current mattress was £1000 about 14 years ago (ha before kids!) & has seen a fair bit of action, not least 2 children conceived on it, and all the action of a different sort that goes with 2 v active ds' s. So it now seems the time has come to replace it. I think I might be getting a bit of an old fart but I'm quite liking the idea of 2 mattresses zipped together as we have a down mattress topper to make any join invisible but I'd not be affected by the great silver back moving around in the night. Any top tips? We don't like those tempura memory foam ones as they seem to boil your blood during the night. :-)

RandomMess Tue 20-Jan-15 23:08:50

Very similar situation here.

We bought 2 single 80cm ikea beds that attach together - got DH a very firm mattress and me the softest one, then a double memory foam mattress to go over the top. Works out between a king & queen size bed and the whole thing was less than £1k including delivery.

It's heavenly and we now even have single duvets and I sleep so much better!

RandomMess Tue 20-Jan-15 23:10:36

Dh doesn't like the memory foam topper so he has a super thick cotton mattress protector on his side which has done the trick. I have a bad back so really benefit from the memory foam.

AlfAlf Tue 20-Jan-15 23:14:21

We just ought the most expensive mattress from ikea. It's lovely and I can't get out of bed and firm, and fill of nice natural stuff like horse hair and wool and natural latex and unbleached cotton. I think it was about €650, not sure what it is in £ but certainly well within budget.

Pipbin Tue 20-Jan-15 23:15:00

On our bed we have the 'ready mat' from Dreams. It is memory foam and can be bought directly from the store ready to take home.
I can honestly say it is the comfiest mattress I have ever slept on anywhere. We are about to upgrade to a kingsized bed (DH I'd 6ft4 and we actually have the space and the money for one now) and will be getting the same again.

AlfAlf Tue 20-Jan-15 23:16:28

*bought and *full I can't type very well in bed

Sarsaparillajones Tue 20-Jan-15 23:17:51

I am lying in bed on my very new mattress typing this. We went to john lewis who have some special offers on right now. We got a king size v firm mattress for £450 and it's fab. I really can't feel him move at all !

We also swithered over an ex display in store that was firm on one side and medium on the other. A lot of the display ones were made like that so you could test different styles so you might get lucky and get a bargain that way....

TheBeanAndTheBee Tue 20-Jan-15 23:18:00

We have the loaf.com mattress - amazing! If you're in/near London there's a showroom where you can try.

mummymafia Tue 20-Jan-15 23:19:45

Haha I'm in bed too! Gawd love mumsnet and all who sail on her!

Hikari01 Wed 21-Jan-15 10:51:37

Check out the memory foam one from IKEA.

gobbin Wed 21-Jan-15 19:45:04

We bought this from Dreams just before New Year. Firm pocket sprung which doesn't feel hard, just supportive. Very comfortable. It was in stock and were able to have it delivered two days later.

www.dreams.co.uk/buckingham-mattress

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: