Advanced search

Freshly washed clothes don't smell fresh!

(13 Posts)
ILoveGreekCats Tue 20-Jan-15 12:42:21

Sometimes when I remove the load from the machine , the clothes don't smell fresh. In fact they smell like smelly feet even though I deliberately don't put too many socks in at a time. I used to blame my old machine but now I've got a new one! Does anyone know what causes this problem?

footallsock Tue 20-Jan-15 12:44:32

Poor drainage?

dementedpixie Tue 20-Jan-15 12:48:02

do you use liquid or powder? Do you do maintenance washes and leave the door open a little when not in use?

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 20-Jan-15 12:56:29

This has just happened with me angry. My uniform usually smells lovely but has an odd damp smell. I live in a hard water area so might be due to that. I've used calgon before and found that helped keep the cycles at their correct time. Also make sure you're not overloading the machine

mousmous Tue 20-Jan-15 12:59:55

clean the filter of the mashine and do an empty boil wash (maintenance wash)
do you use powder or liquid?
if liquid switch to powder, preferably bio.

mousmous Tue 20-Jan-15 13:01:06

oh and don't overload the mashine and use the normal cycles, the extremly short ones often leave out a rinse cycle.

wowfudge Tue 20-Jan-15 13:10:40

Do you leave the washing in the machine for any period of time before you empty it out?

The only time I've ever know laundry smell like that has been when it has not had enough air circulation around it so has gone stale smelling before it dries. If it gets left for a while in the machine that could be why.

ILoveGreekCats Tue 20-Jan-15 14:09:23

I always take it out of the machine straight away. It doesn't happen every time. I use liquid. I've only had this machine 3 months.We do live in a hard water area so maybe that's the reason.

dementedpixie Tue 20-Jan-15 14:15:21

liquids don't keep the drum as clean as powders as they don't contain bleaches. You could try switching to powder. Have you done a hot wash with nothing in it as a maintenance wash? My machine recommend doing one every month or so. Also remove and clean out the dispenser drawer and the bit it fits into as it can get mouldy and smelly too.

ILoveGreekCats Tue 20-Jan-15 16:15:57

Thanks for all your advice! I'll try powder and do a hot maintenance wash.

wowfudge Tue 20-Jan-15 19:03:26

Ah - yes, it's probably down to using liquid.

rabbit123 Tue 20-Jan-15 23:00:28

Prolonged liquid use at lower temperatures causes mould build up in the machine. It has no antibacterial agent so you're creating a warm, damp atmosphere in the washing machine. Perfect for mould growth.

I would recommened:

- switch to a bio powder. Persil & Ariel are both good "all rounders"
- run the machine empty on the hottest, longest cycle with a TINY squirt of bleach in it
- use full cottons & synthetics cycles, not quick wash, and regularly wash at 60 or above (towels & bedding would be ideal). This will help keep your machine clean.

Hope this helps smile

nappyaddict Tue 03-Feb-15 20:28:56

Use a biological washing liquid (powders can clog up machines)

Wash at 40 (lower temperatures perfect for breeding bacteria, hotter temperatures set stains)

Take washing out as soon as cycle ends and leave door open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now