Talk

Advanced search

Storing momentos

(11 Posts)
TeaAfficionado Wed 14-Jan-15 12:04:44

At the moment I have 2 large cardboard boxes rammed full of letters, cards, tickets etc that I have accumulated over the last 10-15 years. Some of them are now quite precious, such as letters from family members who have since passed away. I am doing my best to throw some things away but there will undoubtedly be things I want to keep. Does anyone have any good ideas for storage?

NormHonal Wed 14-Jan-15 12:12:11

How about a wooden blanket box/toy box?

If budget no issue, a school-style trunk would be amazing. Or try to find one second-hand on eBay? Or an old suitcase from a charity or vintage shop?

Ikea did some fabric toy boxes last year that look like suitcases but I'm not sure they are heavy-duty enough for what you need.

NormHonal Wed 14-Jan-15 12:13:44

Ikea toy suitcase box.

Mrsteddyruxpin Wed 14-Jan-15 12:14:39

It's so hard but I bought pretty scrapbooks from TK max and cut out the verse and written parts of cards (I am a teacher so have a few) and did the same for the two dc's. it cuts out bulk when storing

I did one for my wedding also.

TeaAfficionado Wed 14-Jan-15 12:15:58

0That's a good idea, although I'm not sure whether I have space to display something like that nicely. We live in a reasonably small house, and are expecting or first baby so I think DH is hoping all these things can go... away somewhere... (I think he's secretly hoping for a skip....wink)

TeaAfficionado Wed 14-Jan-15 12:17:29

The scrapbook is a great idea too - Its the personal bits in cards I like to keep, rather than the pictures, I did a scrapbook of full cards for our wedding but it ended up massive....

Missymum6 Wed 14-Jan-15 12:27:01

Cards and ticket ect I keep in my daughters first ever pampers box (such a hoarder lol) with babys first dresses and stuff like that I got a patchwork blanket made, it's lovely and full of memories xx

christmaspies Wed 14-Jan-15 12:29:57

Photograph or scan some of them.

shovetheholly Wed 14-Jan-15 14:38:56

1. Be a bit ruthless. There's no point keeping stuff if you're never going to look at it. How can it be comforting to you to have it all rammed in a box so you can never find anything? The idea with mementos is that you can go through them!! Try to limit yourself to the stuff that has real significance and get rid of stuff that really isn't that important - or maybe scan it, as christmas suggested!

2. That said, of course there will be things you do want to keep. I got some cheap large kassett boxes from Ikea, and have divided the things I want to keep into folders inside these. I do receipts for things the same way. That way, when I want to remember someone or some event in particular, I can find the things easily.

wickedlazy Wed 14-Jan-15 14:48:57

I have sentimental stuff stored in big plastic box's, the type you use for under bed storage, with the clips at the sides (so they stay sealed better). Documents and letters are in a folder, the type you open from the top/tie closed with pockets inside (kept in one of the plastic boxes). My sons baby cards I bundled together and tied with a ribbon, wrapped in tissue paper, and put in one of his gift bags from when he was born (also tied shut). This lives on top of his wardrobe. Next to the gift bag on top of his wardrobe, I have a little desk tidy that holds his birth certificate, red book, passport, and little boxes with his baby bracelet, first lock of hair etc.

wickedlazy Wed 14-Jan-15 14:51:48

*I meant to say, plastic boxes were under my bed, but now in the loft. A lot of stuff from my own childhood/teenage years in there. And some of dp's sentimental stuff is mixed in too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: